Chapter 36: Nico

OK SO IM SORRY FOR NOT WRITING RECENTLY BUT MY MOM HAD TO GET HIP REPLACEMENT SURGERY AND IVE BEEN TAKING CARE OF HER, BUT ITS OK THE SURGERY WENT WELL,SHE'S JUST NOT ALLOWED TO BEND IN ANYWAY SHAPE OR FORM. UNLESS SHE WANTS THE ROD IN HER HIP TO SHOOT THROUGH HER BACK. DID U GUYS GET THAT AWFUL IMAGERY TOO? CUZ IT MADE ME SHIVER WHEN I WAS TOLD ABOUT IT.

NICO

I never knew how fast I could get dressed until I heard the knock on Percy's bedroom door. I'm no expert, but I am pretty positive that I broke a fucking record.

It was his father.

"Yes?" Percy yelled as he pulled on his clothes.

"Did I wake you up?" Asked his dad through the door.

"Naw, I've got a friend over so we were just playing video games."

"Oh, ok. Well I just thought you had something to talk to me about. Your text from before seemed a little tense. So I figured I should come home and talk to you." That was when Percy opened the door.

Now we just sat across from each other and waited for someone to start the conversation.

"I'm sorry. I don't believe I've met you before. My name is Poseidon, I'm Percy's father." He held out his hand and I grasped it tentatively. Percy's father looked nothing like what I thought he would, but that makes sense because I am often wrong. And, to be honest, his dad reminded me a lot of Percy. Percy had his dad's sea green eyes and his same black hair. His dad was wearing Bermuda shorts in December, a short sleeve Hawaiian shirt, and brown sandals. He had laugh lines that told me that he laughed a lot and he smelt like salt water. The ocean wasn't exactly my favorite place but the way Percy's dad smelt made me want to go there right now. Actually, now that I think about it, Percy smelled like the ocean too. But he smelt like a nice comforting sea breeze on a beautiful summer day.

"My name is Nico di Angelo."

"Oh, aren't you Bianca's - Oh never mind." I was a little confused until I noticed Percy vigorously shaking his head out of the corner of my eye. He was warning him away from a very sensitive subject for us right now. Yes, we had worked through our whole my-boyfriend-use-to-date-my-sister-but-then-she-died-and-he-didn't-remember-her-thing but it was still a touchy topic. It was our last big fight and we ended up not talking to each other for three days because of it. There wasn't enough time away from it for us to have gotten over it yet. It was like standing on the edge of a cliff and then taking one step away from it. Yes, you were farther away from the problem, and yes, that was good. But it is still possible for someone to push you over the edge and send you to your death.

Percy decided that, instead of tomorrow, we would tell his dad that we were gay (and dating) today. That's my boyfriend. The man with the not-so-well-thought-out plans and the fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants attitude.

"Yes, I'm Bianca's brother." I replied calmly.

"Umm, Dad? We have something to tell you."

"I'm all ears, Son."

"We, Nico and I, are gay. Together. As in seeing each other. As in dating. As in we love each other. As in I will literally die without him. As in - "

"Percy, I think he gets it."

"Oh, sorry. I just didn't want you to misunderstand."

Poseidon nodded and said, "Well you made it very clear."

"Sooooo . . . . . . . ?" We both waited in painful suspense for him to answer.

"Oh, it's fine. Greeks don't actually care about gender. It makes sense that you would at least end up bisexual. I mean just look at your cousin Apollo, you probably don't remember but there was this whole thing with this one guy that both he and his friend Coup liked. I don't quite remember what happened with them. But our family has never had issues with homosexuality in the past, I don't see why we would start now."

"Well, that was anti-climactic." I said letting the breath I had been holding escape.

Now we just had my dad to worry about. But he probably would say the same thing. He was half Greek, and even his Italian side - I mean Italians were known for being kinda loose. I don't think I have much to worry about. If anything it was Hazel. She was raised in an Amish society, they were literally old-fashioned. My only hope was that in the limited amount of time that she had been in modern society she had picked up a modern view on gay marriage.