Chapter seventeen: Enemies and Memories

Jack didn't feel scared easily. 

He never felt like he really had anything to lose. He didn't love much of anything, which was a little sad, but true. He know he didn't love his father, which made him question the type of person he was, but Jack wasn't the type to dwell on his feelings too much. He  did however, love his friends. And he felt as though he didn't have to worry about them because they were all so strong. He knew that losing any of them would make him break down, but he didn't have to worry about that.

He  loved Elsa more than he loved himself, and that was something he was sure of. Jack also knew he didn't have to worry about her because she was just as strong as him, if not stronger, and he  would always be around to protect her. 

The last thing he loved, were his powers. He wouldn't be Jack Frost without them. He would just be some weak no body that people didn't notice. Without his powers, he couldn't live. 

So Jack didn't worry about any of those things. He wouldn't lose any of them so he didn't have anything to be scared about. 

For some reason, the winter spirit was thinking about all of these things as he walked down the road on the outskirts of the town. He needed to clear his head and think about everything his father told him, and see if he could make any sense of it. Maybe it was because the Nightmare King was hunting him down. If he was going to be exposed to his worst fears, why not try to figure out what they were?

It wasn't very cold outside, not like it would bother him, but there was a cool breeze blowing steadily, and the sun was hiding behind the clouds. Jack looked around and saw that he came to the abandoned hospital.

It had been her for probably centuries, and was barely being held together now. He remembered as a kid, how he and his friends would dare each other to pass by the crumbling stone structure late at night. Out here, with only the dim glow of a flashlight to guide you pass an old hospital where thousands of people had died, that was real fear. It seemed like voices were whispering out to you from within, to tell you about how they were trapped there, and that you'd be next.

Now, on a cloudy day, with no one around, Jack thought to himself that it did still look very scary, but he also noted that he wasn't scared of it. He'd have no problem going inside and looking around all by himself. After all, ghosts didn't exist and he'd be able to take out anyone lurking about wanting to harm him. There was nothing stopping him from going inside, just the fact that he wasn't really looking for a thrill this afternoon. That was all. He wasn't scared.

 "Help!" 

Jack spun around. 

By now, he had passed the hospital, but he could very clearly hear the shrill voice of a young girl screaming. Was he wrong? Were ghosts really real? He widened his eyes. "Jack! Help me!" He pulled the pendant off his neck and felt it morph into the staff. By now, he was hovering a few feet into the air and his senses were on high alert. That voice. He knew that voice.

He heard the scream again, and against his better judgement, he zipped straight into the old building. Who's voice was that? He didn't know any little girls. So why did he recognized that voice? Jack's heart raced and he started to sweat. 

He landed inside the hospital, and as he thought, it was much more eerie inside. It was very dark ,with only a little light from outside filtering through the cracks. The lingering smell of rust and wet moss wafted around him and before he could take in anything else, he hear the scream. "Jack! I'm scared."

The hallway. That's where it was coming from. He sped down the dark hall, bumping into old rusty stretchers trying to find who was calling him. But the boy didn't hear the voice again. He landed. Where the heck was he? How many turns had he made? Which hall should he take to do down now?