vii

"hold it! you're telling me your first name is james?"

"sadly- if i hear you calling me that i won't hesitate to cripple you." paul nudged the girl beside him, his elbow on her ribs.

"i'd like to see you try, james!" lucy giggled, rolling up the sleeves of her coat, as paul's lips formed a smile of their own, eyes with amusement.

"hey- no crippling girls, macca!" george stepped to the middle of the duo, pushing lucy behind his slim figure.

the three friends walked down the street, babbling random thoughts in deep conversation. they had just gone out of the pictures, a film starring audrey hepburn was the most voted by the group to watch. lucy had adored it, not only the movie but also the secret popcorn war at paul's hair. the boy had brought a date and for the heck of it, george and lucy decided to have some fun with the situation.

everything was going according to plan with cynthia too. lucy and cynthia had decided, through a phone call on the night before the "pictures date", that cynthia would finally ask john out. she felt a certain spark with the teddy boy so she would engage a conversation when the two of them where alone together. lucy's job was to keep the others away from the lovebirds.

"paulie-" donna's fingers intertwined with paul's, distracting the boy from his friends, to look over some flowers, exposed by a street seller.

lucy's hands wrapped around george's arm, hugging it and she gently rested her head on his shoulder. george stiffened at her touch, just like on the first time they met. he wasn't used to it, but he cherished the crazy butterflies flying around his stomach to the roses of blush being drawn on his cheeks.

little ghosts of smoke drifted from lucy's parted lips, her blue eyes watching them fly away. the wintry weather was coming down fast for the season, so after the cinema, the group decided to go grab a smoking cuppa at a cafe nearby.

"geo, look." lucy blew out the air she had inhaled, a small ghost flying from her lips. george smiled, and replied with a bigger ghost drifting up to meet lucy's. the blonde let out a small giggle, george joining with a chuckle.

a few feet from them, john talked with cynthia, arm around her shoulders. the girl laughed at his jokes, blush smearing her cheeks due to how close their bodies were to each other. at first, john's mind wasn't set on lucy, however, george was starting to step on his toes. his stomach twisted with jealousy when he saw how the duo enjoyed each other's company at the theatre. also, he questioned himself over and over about how lucy had gotten so close to the youngest in matters of weeks.

"do you think we are a third wheel to them?" lucy glanced over her shoulder, the other two couples walking behind them.

"why would we be?" george asked, as lucy's hands slid of his arm to her sides. their hands brushed together and george, slowly, mustered up the courage to intertwine his fingers with hers. "it feels like we are in a date of our own, don't you think?" he whispered.

their eyes met, lucy's cheeks flushed with such a bold move. she suppressed a grin, as george looked away, his eyes watching the cars pass by. he was on fire, his mind was screaming, as if an emergency button had been pressed down with red lights blinking.

"it does feel nice." lucy murmured, before burying her pink nose on her scarf. she squeezed his hand, enjoying the warmth. her hands were like blocks of ice and george radiated a comfortable warmth.