Chapter 38

"He's been quiet for a few hours. We've been ordered to monitor him and not allow one person to have a consistent guard of him. No repetition either." Ava listened with her eyebrows narrowed as the receptionist; Jennifer led her down the prison "Beta Cole will not be joining you today ma'am?"

"No. He's busy." Ava replied, lying through her teeth. If the other woman noticed or had a feeling that she knew Ava was lying, she made no signs and instead nodded in understanding

She rubbed her arms together at the cold, completely ignoring the snaps and growls that came at her from numerous directions. Contrary to the hostile environment she was in, she felt no ounce of fear as her mind was on what she had to face ahead of her. She would have gone down these halls herself if the woman with her didn't insist to escort her. The guards bowed to her as she passed. Ava didn't know exactly when she stopped caring about how they bowed to her and about how they regarded her as the Luna without the evidence on her neck. 

They walked till they were in front of the familiar room. The letter on top of the door, an 'X' to indicate they had reached the destination she had wanted. Jennifer looked back at her for permission to go ahead. At Ava's nod, she tapped away on the security pad and the doors pulled open automatically.

"Are the cameras inside switched off as per my request?" Ava asked

 "To be switched on only after you're out yes." Jennifer replied, "Are you sure I shouldn't go in with you Luna?"

"No, thank you. I only need 15 minutes. I'd appreciate it if you didn't open these doors till then." Ava replied, walking into the room that had such low lighting. Her eyes adjusted to the darkness as the doors shut behind her. There, chained to the wall, his wide eyes looking up at her was Ryan. His eyes came alive at the sight of her as he sat up more 

She moved forward, her soft footsteps echoing through the quiet room. Two chairs were stationed right in the centre. She took a seat on one and waited patiently for him. 

"To what do I owe this very pleasant surprise my princess?" he croaked, his voice cracking. She was very sure it must have been from his constant screaming he had done "No entourage today?" 

She listened as the silver chains dragged behind him. The smell of the burning away his flesh turned her stomach and she had to swallow saliva to resist the urge to throw up. Keira snarled in her mind at him, probably sensing how wrong everything about him was. Casting aside every ill feeling she had, she folded her arms over her chest. 

Reckless. That was what Cole had called her days ago. Looking into Ryan's bloodshot eyes, she finally accepted that it was true. After all, she had come here under the pretence of helping out at the local community centre as she had been for the past 3 days. Gladys had happily waved her goodbye as she had left. 

For the past week, she had not seen neither had she heard from Xander. It was like he had completely disappeared, leaving no trace of where he could have gone. It irked her to no end. Cole had come by every day to check in on her and had refused to tell her where Xander had gone off to. He had also kept her far away from the prison, even going as far as assigning personal guards to her. Ava had yet to find out what the exact reason was, but what she knew was, whatever reason they had was pure and utter bullshit. It was ironic to think about how things had changed from the day she was chilling with Cole to the present day. 

Cole had been at the centre of her rage during all the time she was placed under house arrest. She didn't realise when she had started affecting everything around her; from making things levitate to causing minor tremors in the house. She had struggled to control her anger because when she couldn't,  it always ended up with her almost literally exploding. There was no way to know the full extent of what she could do and she was constantly cautious about how she let her emotions affect her. The only upside was Keira's presence. From watching how Keira always went dormant after she activated her powers, she deduced that they were possibly repressing her wolf. The days when she almost lost it, Keira had forcibly taken control and averted the negative effects that would come afterwards.