Chapter 31

He didn't want to let go of me. I was afraid for my life and I feared that if I moved the wrong way, his sharp claws would scratch me. Even now, as his face rested at the crook of my neck, nuzzling like a puppy, I was still. Going against an Alpha was one thing, going against his wolf was another. But, going against his wolf in the stage it was in was like signing a signature on my death certificate. I had often heard rumours of how scary Alphas could be when I was a child. They were like tales told by the bonfire, scaring the little children into not going off on their own. At that time, I buried my face into my older brother's shoulder, sometimes crying while he did his very best to soothe me.

Nothing I had heard as a child could rival the man that stood before me. Frankly, he appeared more monster than man.

"You smell so good." he mumbled and I almost jumped out of my skin on feeling his canines nipping at my neck. A sharp breath caught in my throat as my frantic eyes searched the cell, finally landing on Cole's form. His eyes were dark in the room but I remembered the words he had said to me, telling me that no matter what, Xander wouldn't harm me.

That was a difficult task for me to accomplish, especially since it felt like I had a devil-incarnate attaching himself to me. With the way he kept nipping at my neck, I was sure his teeth would sink in, either on his own whim or by pure instinct. Trying to calm myself, I opened my mouth to speak, hoping and praying deep down that my words would be as convincing as they needed to be.

"Nixon." I said softly, my voice still shaky. As a response, he hummed, but still didn't stop his ministrations on my neck "Nixon, please wait. I have to-" My words were cut short as I was hoisted up in the air and on impulse, my arms wound themselves around Xander's neck.

His hands were holding me up by my backside and although I was slightly irritated by how he had thrown me so suddenly and at the compromising position he had put us in, a blush still rose to my cheeks and a part of me welcomed his touch. Whenever his hands were on me, my body didn't know how to stay still. I dropped my head to look at him and found that he stared back with a curious expression, like he was trying to figure me out.

"Why won't you let me mark you?" he asked, genuinely sounding curious

"It's not the time, please." I wondered if he could hear how desperate I was for him to listen to me "I need to speak with Alexander. Please, can I speak with him?"

Hesitantly, my hands lifted from around his strong shoulders and pressed lightly into his face to draw his attention to me. His sharp eyes didn't stray from my green ones, his lips slightly parted as he inhaled loudly. My hands felt like they were on fire from touching him and it left me with a warm tingling feeling in my chest.

"Alexander." I called out softly, hoping that he could hear me despite the complete control of his wolf

After a few moments, I watched in amazement as the darkness gradually receeded and little by little, the shade of blue I had become accustomed to began to show. The roughness of his body and the crazy power that ozzed off him in waves, layered down to a calm and in the end, Alexander's eyes stared emotionlessly at me. I released a breath I didn't even know that I was holding.

"What the hell man." I heard Cole say loudly, possibly grateful that he was back to normal as well

He gently dropped me on my feet, my body crying out at the loss of contact, even though inside I was relieved he now gave me enough breathing space. His body was still vastly decorated with blood, but fortunately, his claws had retracted, leaving his finger tips that were stained red.

"What are you doing here?" the deepness of his voice made my stomach to twist in a pleasant way and I found myself cursing the effects that he had on me