Chapter 5 - The Dark

The shadows moved towards me and I felt powerless. It grabbed my throat and slammed me against the wall.

"Wha-" The shadows punched me. "We've waited for this moment to take control." I grabbed the arm, but my hands slipped through. "There's no point in struggling." It said. I cast my Magic power and it seemed to weaken its grip enough. I slipped out and backed away from it. 

"Human, why are you so resistant?" It asked. I didn't answer as I was focused on a strategy.

"Your bloodline has fallen to us before and so shall you." It said. I looked straight into its eyes, "What did you say?"

"Your mother, she was like you. Only she didn't have enough willpower." It said.

I had never been one to fall into anger easily, but it was enough to rival my shadows. I grasped the shadows by it's arm and flung it into the wall.

It groaned and laughed. "Touched a nerve did we?" The shadows got up and they thrust their hand into my chest. 

I keeled over and felt as the shadows laughed garbled. "We won't harm your body! We'll just take over your mind and then your body!" I raised my body in pain. 

"So that's your goal, so long as I struggle you'll never gain it." I laughed. I grasped their head and put it into a headlock. 

"You'll fall soon enough." It said.

For what seemed to be years I battled the shadows in a series of squabbles never giving into their will. My body had felt like it was rugged from the series of battles. The shadows seemingly disappeared every time I beat it, however it returned a short time after leaving me little time to rest.

This time was different. I was sat down on the wall and felt the shadows rise from the floor and they didn't attack immediately, but they sat down on the adjacent wall. 

They sat there for a while before their mouth opened. "Human, why? Why do you still struggle?"

I looked up and saw that the shadows for once seemed to be eager to hear me.

"My mother and father had raised me in a way. They would always say, 'Valian, you're going to change the world.' I had no idea what my attribute was, but my mother persistently said that no matter the one she'd support me. I didn't realize that my family was cursed to have the same attribute, my mother had chosen not to tell me."

"I had no idea why she did that. I had figured that it would've been better to have her teach me about my attribute, but I had never seen my mother use her Magic." I sighed and closed my eyes.

"The gist, is that my mother made me promise her to change the world. I intend to at least do something. I will do whatever it takes; even if it means my last breath." I said.

The shadows went quiet for a while and then responded. "We'll give you full control. We've no need of a body that's already promised for something else."

"That's odd. I would've thought that you'd make a bargain." I said. The shadows chuckled and said, "We've had enough bargains, plus your determination will require the full control: any less and you'd die a worthless human." It said.

The room shined with light and then it was dark again. I looked around and saw that I alone stood in the room. I called to my shadows and they obeyed immensely.

I waved my hand on the wall. The door frame appeared and I walked out into the room.

"Valian, is that you?" Sir Galan spoke cautiously. "Yeah, I beat the shadows back." I said.

"So you formed a contract?" He said. I shook my head and stretched my fingers out. "They gave me complete control."

"WHAT!?" He yelled. I flinched, "What?" Sir Galan walked up to me and summoned a sword. He thrust it towards me. Instinctively: a wall of shadows was put up. The sword did not pierce through.