Chapter 1

"May, pay attention, please. I really need your opinion on this." My best friend, Pearl, says while hitting my tail.

"I'm sorry, what did you wanted me to see?" I say while turning my attention to her.

"Uh! I wanted to ask you whether I should get purple..." She holds a purple top that frills at the end. "...or yellow?" She holds up a a yellow top that ends at her belly button and has a string to tie around her neck.

"Yellow, definitely yellow. The yellow one kind of goes with your tail." I say while gesturing to her shiny, orangish yellow tail.

She smiles and puts the purple up. "That is what I was thinking. Now you." Pearl says while swimming over to me.

"Nope. I refuse to get up." I say just before I'm yanked off of the bench and into a dressing room. Many shirts are thrown over the door and fall on top of me. "Pearl! Why so many shirts?!" I say while trying to get all of the shirts off of me.

"Well I never know what you will like or not so I just threw in a rainbow of shirts." Her voice sounds behind the door. "Plus, everything matches with that green tail of yours." And like always, she is right.

I try on all of the shirts with no success until I get to the last shirt. I try it on and gasp. "Pearls...this is the one." The shirt was a turquoise with a shimmer of green. I open the door and Pearl gasps when she sees me.

"Oh. My. Neptune. You look flipping awesome!" She says while swimming towards me. "You are wearing this out. Come on, let's check out." She grabs my arms and my purse. We check out and enter many more stores before we exit.

"Can I go home now? My tail is killing me." I say as we exit the mall. Pearl's arms are covered in bags full of clothes while I only have five bags. We get halfway to our part of the reef when we hear someone yell.

"NET! EVERYBODY SEEK SHELTER!" I look behind us and see one of the humans' fishing nets heading straight towards us. I push Pearl out of the way and my tail gets caught in the net. Forgetting about my bags, my attention turns to the net. I try my fastest to undo the knots that wrap around the end of my tail. Suddenly the whole net encloses around me and starts pulling me towards the surface.

"HELP! SOMEONE HELP!" I yell and hands start pulling at the net. I look and see Pearl.

"Hold on, May. I'll go get something sharp." She say while speeding off. The net tightens and I see that the top it above the surface. I look and see my best friend swim around the bottom of the sea.

"Take care of my family, please." I say just before my head reaches the surface. She looks up as my whole body is lifted into the cold air. I try to stay immobile but I hear voices as I'm lifted over what the humans call a boat.

"Looks like we got something big, boys." A masculine voice sounds as hands grab the net.

"Jesus, its huge." Another voice sounds. The knots that surrounded my tail untie and I fell through the net. Three voices gasp when I hit the bottom of the boat.

The largest man out of the three has brown hair and dark blue and the others have the same features. The youngest man speaks up. "No way. Pops, is that what I think it is?"

"A mermaid...Dav, take her to the tanks below." The largest man orders the man behind me. I'm picked up by my arms and I fight against him but he is much stronger than I am. He opens a door and leads me into the boat. A bright light follows a click and a huge, glass tank full of water and fish is in front of me. The man lifts me and put me in the tank. The fish dart away from me and a heavy object is placed at the entrance. The man smiles and leaves the room.