Chapter 8 - Contingency Plans

I find Diana in the kitchen searching for something to eat and smile as I see my friend for the first time in forever. She was the one person I missed the most after leaving. I knew she understood why I did what I did but I still needed to apologize for basically running away.

"You know, Clark hides some Pop-tarts in the raisin bran box." I say softly causing her to instantly turn toward me a bright smile on her face.

"That's just bad hiding skills." She replies a playful smirk filling her lips.

Then before either of us has a chance to say anything else I rush over and wrap my arms around her. She hugs me back and it was like we were back in Themyscira. I would be lying if I said I didn't miss my home. Everything there was nice and simple. The only downside was that no men were allowed there, and I doubt I'd be able to live without Bruce.

"I've missed you." I say as I pull away and hold her at arm's length.

"I knew you'd be back." She replies a smile filling her beautiful face.

"I wish I could say that was the reason I was here," I pause worry filling my eyes.

"But?" She questions her expression mimicking mine.

"I need to ask you some things, about when I was younger." I say and she motions to the table and chairs.

"Ask away," She says, and I take a deep breath.

"When I was younger, did I ever have any moments when I would just check out? Like my body would be there, but I wasn't." I ask and her eyes widen slightly. "What? What is it?"

"When you were younger my mother gifted you with this beautiful hawk."

"You mean Artemis?" I ask and she nods.

"You loved her more than anything. There was never a moment when the two of you were apart. Do you remember how she died?" Diana asks and I furrow my brow as I try to remember the incident.

"I think it was a hunting accident. One of the other girls was hunting in the same area I was and accidently shot her."

"Do you remember what happened after that?" She asks and I clench my jaw as I try to remember.

"No."

"When you realized that she was dead, your eyes turned black and so did your hair. You attacked the girl and almost killed her. It took the lasso and mother to pull you out of it. After that mother took you into a room and no one else was allowed in there. All I remember was the ground shaking and the sky turning dark.

"Three days later you both emerged but you had no recollection of what had happened, and you were asking for Artemis. It was then that you and I became close friends. Mother believed that I could heal the hurt in your heart from your loss. Since then, we haven't seen Void since."

"Void?" I ask my brow furrowing.

"That's what mother called her. Since you are Light, and you can't have light without dark."

"Clark's met her." I say making Diana's eyes widen slightly.

"When?"

"He said when I caught him and Lois together my eyes turned black and it was like I wasn't there anymore. The room was dark and cold."

"So, she didn't completely show herself?" Diana asks confusion on her face. "Somehow, you unconsciously kept her in check."

"I guess." I answer shrugging my shoulders.

"I hate to say this, but her showing herself is connected to your mental state. Like if you experience something devastating, she'll fully show herself, and when that happens, I don't know what will happen."