Prologue

I couldn't believe my eyes.

He's....

...dead.

No way. No freakin' way!

Some people freeze when they're in shock. I was the opposite. I couldn't stop moving.

One second I was clutching my phone, pacing around the room like a maniac. The next second, for all I knew, I had taken out my small green bag that I always brought with me for any short travel, and started packing. For how long of a stay, I didn't know. I was on autopilot. I just needed to go. Right now. At least I knew for sure where I was going.

Duskwood.

Thanks to many emergencies in my life, I became so good at packing really quickly. Five minutes later, I was all packed in my car, ready to go.

As I opened Maps on my phone, a text message came in. "Hello, Eira."

My impulsive moves came to a halt. I finally stopped to think. What was my plan? This was not me. I always planned everything before doing anything.

But today was different. Maybe it was time to let loose for a little bit. After all, just like any emergencies, you really had no time to think...

Well, technically, I had hours of drive ahead of me to do all the thinking in the world.

I typed a reply quickly, "Sorry, Jake. I know I promised, but I can't sit still any longer."

And with that, I drove off. Without a single plan. And without anyone knowing where I'd be.