The Man Without a Face

Cleo was in charge of the food. After all, she was a good baker, and apparently a great cook, too. Dinner was ready not long after so we all sat down around the table. It was lasagna, and I regretted nothing.

"So, where were you heading, Agatha?" Jessy was the first to break the ice. "Or can I call you Aggie?"

I shrugged. "That's what my family normally calls me, so sure. I was on the way to Colville to visit a friend, which reminds me I would need to let her know. Excuse me for a sec."

I took that chance to check my phone and replied to my messages as needed, then continued the conversation. "What about you guys? I have a feeling this is a holiday home?"

Cleo nodded. "Yeah. It'll be so isolated to actually live here."

"I've always wanted to live in Colville," Jessy said. "Where are you from?"

"Ashview Hills," I lied. They are right, the more you lie, the easier it gets. Hopefully this would come handy later.

"Oh," Jessy replied. I sensed she tried to hide her shock. And I had an idea why.

"Where are you guys from?"

"Duskwood, not far from here," Thomas replied.

"What do you do?" Cleo asked. A question I was looking forward to.

"I'm a writer," I replied. Even though my reason for traveling changed, I figured I still stuck to the writing thing. Because I liked writing. The best lies are half truths.

"That's so cool!" Jessy exclaimed. "What do you write?"

"Fiction, mainly. What do you all do?"

I recently realised I only knew what Richy and Jessy did for a living, as well as Dan, I guessed. But not everyone else.

"I work at a bakery." As expected of Cleo.

"I'm a secretary." Which I knew about Jessy.

"I used to work at a motel, but recently quit. I'm looking for a new job." I knew half of that about Lilly. She used to be the receptionist at Ms. Walter's hotel.

"I'm also in between jobs at the moment," Thomas replied.

Hmm.

"And you said you're still expecting some friends to join? Are you sure they won't mind that I'm here?"

Jessy shrugged. "Dan won't come until tomorrow. And Richy... we really don't know where he is."

There was a short silence right after. Everyone was pretending to be caught up with their food.

"I hope he's okay. Is he also from Duskwood?" I continued.

"Yeah. I work for him at his garage. If he still doesn't show up tomorrow, maybe we'll go to his shop again. And he'll also be able to help you, too."

I nodded. "That'll be great. Maybe he got caught up with something."

"Yeah, maybe," Cleo replied. Definitely didn't sound too hopeful.

"Is there something wrong?" I figured anyone could sense this even if they didn't know what was really going on, so I guessed it was safe to ask.

"Don't worry about it," Thomas answered. It sounded like he was trying to convince himself more than anyone else.

Cleo stood up to clear up the table and went to the kitchen to get the dessert ready. I complimented her amazing cooking and offered to help, but she politely declined, so I said I looked forward to the dessert and felt very spoiled.