Jake

It was at the break of dawn when they put me in the holding cell. I finally got to lay down, but there was no way I could sleep now. They put Jake in a different cell so we couldn't work out a plan together. And they were going to come back to interrogate us one by one.

Great. What was happening now?

Attempted murders? How did they know those guys weren't already dead? Maybe he saw that Richy wasn't quite dead yet. I guessed that could be the plan. They pretended to be dead with me, but planned it to look like attempted murders for the police.

And who tipped them off to begin with? If it wasn't anyone from the group... then maybe it was Dan. Or Phil.

Phil... His arrest must have been a red herring. They planted evidence and witnessed against him. Or pretended to. Buying as much as time as they could for Jake and I to fall into their trap.

The police didn't charge us for the murder of Jennifer Hanson, even though it all linked so closely... and where was Hannah now?

My head started spinning and spinning...

...

"Miss Blanche? Miss Blanche!"

I opened my eyes and jumped out of the bed. I must have fallen asleep.

I was so disappointed to see the police, standing there to take me to the interrogation room. It wasn't just a nightmare.

On our way, I took a glance at Jake in his holding cell, who just stared at me regretfully. It was not a good sign. I wondered if they had talked to him...

"So, Miss Blanche," the police officer in front of me started the moment I sat down. "What exactly were you doing in that house?"

And so the interrogation began. I told them everything in full honesty. Of course, some things sounded suspicious, but I hoped they could see I was genuinely telling the truth and just wanted to help. I also told them all of my theories.

The police officer responded very little to what I said aside from asking more and more questions. And he also asked a lot about Jake. I reckoned he was most suspicious of him...

Half an hour later, they put me back in my cell. I assumed I was the first one and now Jake's turn. I had a bad feeling about this... What if they blamed it all on Jake?

I wouldn't mind if they blamed both of us. Just not Jake alone. Cos then at least we could plan an escape together. I guessed being wrongfully charged and then escaping prison would be the next cool adventure. We gotta do it all.

I didn't know how long it had been. I ended up falling asleep again. I really couldn't function well in this state. What woke me up was the police officer coming into my cell. Again.

"You are free to go."

I was dazed not only because I was still disoriented, but also because I wasn't sure if I heard him right. Or just couldn't believe it. "...What?"

The police officer raised his eyebrows. "You're the only person I have met who are not happy to be let go. Do you want to stay here another night?"

Of course I ignored the officer's sarcasm and walked out on auto pilot as he escorted me out. I was going to ask about Jake, but I caught a glimpse of him in the other cell. He stood up the moment he saw me. I abruptly stopped and begged to be allowed to speak to him, but the police officer was ruthless. He forced me to keep walking while all the time my gaze was fixed on Jake.

Oh no, what could they possibly have to blame it all on Jake? Sure, he was quite suspicious, and definitely obtained things illegally, but didn't mean he did it all. Unless they only arrested him for the hacking and stuff... but wouldn't I also be in the wrong side?