2018

"Freddie Mercury died of AIDS-related pneumonia on the 24th November 1991"
Pictures of Freddie's life started scrolling on the screen, "Don't stop me now" was playing.
Soon, the credits started and in the cinema the lights were turned on. People started leaving. Once everything was over, there was no one but her and the cleaning crew in the theatre.
"Miss, I'm afraid I have to ask you to leave"
A sweet cleaning lady placed her hand on Eleanor's shoulder, Eleanor jumped on her place. She was crying and didn't even realize the film was over and everyone had left. She swept away the tears with the sleeve of the sweatshirt, apologised and walked out.
The film touched her more than she thought it would. It had been just perfect, there were no words she could use to describe it. And maybe that was the reason it had got under her skin like that.
She already knew that Freddie would eventually die in the movie as well, no film could change reality, but right then, it was completely unbelievable for her to process Freddie's death, even if it had happened many years before she was even born. The movie took her closer to the band she grew up listening to and maybe the pain she was feeling for the end of he movie and the reminder of Freddie's death was just a glimpse of the pain her parents felt when Freddie actually died almost thirty years before.
Eleanor's parents were huge rock and roll fans back in the 70s, her mum had been a groupie for several bands, Queen included, and her dad? her dad was just a fan. They had met at a Queen concert and it was love at first sight. Eventually they got married and tried to have children. Eleanor was their miracle baby. They raised her like they were raised. Stepping into their house felt very much like stepping back in time. They had records all over the house and record players in almost every room. Rory grew up listening to classic rock and she was extremely grateful to her parents for the music she grew up listening to. While all of the girls her age were obsessing over One Direction and Justin Bieber, filling every square inch of their bedrooms with posters they would find in gossip magazines, Rory would obsess over people who were either dead or too old for her, leave alone famous. The walls in her bedroom were full of pictures her mother took while travelling around the world as a groupie for a band or the other. Out of every artist she listened to, Queen was her favourite. It was her parent's favourite as well.

Rory was 16 when her parents died in a car crash. It was raining and foggy, Rory was sitting in the backseat and they were all singing along a song by Guns n' Roses when a truck hit them. She was somehow protected, but by the time the ambulance arrived, for her parents there was nothing to do. She lived with her grandma until she turned 18, when she moved out in her old home.
From the moment of the accident, she couldn't listen to any Guns n' Roses' songs anymore, but she couldn't bring herself to throw away any of the records. She would listen to Queen just as much as she did when her parents were alive. It was like their music, somehow, brought them back. She felt closer to them when a Queen song was on, and hearing them in public places always made her happy. She noticed that Queen music came up in public or on her phone when she was feeling a bit blue and she interpreted it as her parents looking down for her, wherever they were.
Therefore, normally, when she heard that a movie about Queen was to be made, she just knew she had to see it. When it actually came out, she bought three tickets to the last showing on opening day and saved a place for her mom and dad, knowing that they would have loved to be there.

Eleanor walked home in the middle of the night. Music was playing from her headphones, but she wasn't really paying attention to it. When she arrived home, she poured herself a cup of tea and snuggled in her parent's bed, like she used to when she was little.
Before falling asleep, she looked around, smiling at all of her parents' memories kept in that room.
'I wish I were in the 70s' she thought, drifting in a heavy sleep.