Galas & Gals

TW: mentions of date rape drugs used, but no referenced rape or other abuse.

A modern law-enforcement AU.

It was not often Diana had to sport a full length gown for work, but on days that she did, she was glad that Steve was her assigned partner. No one else in the precinct could get half as many weapons through any type of security as he could and since Diana was always more, well, limited with a gown, Steve had her covered.

"If you prefer, I suppose I could wear the dress and you could wear the suit," Steve suggested, leaning against the doorframe.

Ensuring her one gun was secure in her thigh holster, Diana stood up and smoothed out her dress before looking up at Steve with a teasing grin. "As dashing as you would look, I think you might turn more heads wearing this than I would."

"I don't know." Steve gave her an appraising look and smirked. "You might draw more attention than you think, angel."

Diana rolled her eyes and turned back to the mirror to make sure her hair was still smooth and her in-ear comm was well hidden. Satisfied, she turned back to Steve and offered her hand for him to take.

Taking care to avoid Diana's red lipstick, he kissed the very corner of her mouth and grinned. "Let's knock 'em dead."

They walked out of the hotel and met their chauffeur outside, sliding into the back of the limousine without a word. As they arrived at the gala, they clicked on their comms before stepping out of the limousine and making their way towards the grand ballroom. Both of them made it through security without hassle and with a shared look, they split upon entering.

"We've only just arrived," Diana murmured into the comm, sending Steve a look from across the room. "How are you already at the bar?"

"Hey, it's the ideal vantage point." Diana rolled her eyes, stopping at the bottom of the stairs and scanning the crowd herself. "Everyone is bound to stop by at some point during the night. Besides, in all the movies, who knows everyone, everywhere?"

"The bartender," Diana grumbled. She pulled a glass of champagne from the tray of a passing waiter and looked away from the bar. "Just don't get drunk. There's a reason you're my backup."

"Yes, ma'am."

While Steve contented himself at the bar, chatting amicably with the bartender who seemed very enthralled by Steve's antics, Diana kept an eye on the crowd for their target. It was a bit of a stretch, assuming their art thief would make an appearance at a gala such as this, but Etta's intel was rarely wrong and Diana was willing to spend one night playing dress-up if it meant they were one step closer to catching him.

"Nine o'clock." Steve's voice echoed through her ear suddenly, his voice clearer than the muffled conversation with the bartender she'd been tuning out.

Her attention moved swiftly just in time to see their target, Heinrich Precht, appear to her right.

"Spotted."

Diana made her way towards Precht as Steve resumed his muted conversation with the bartender. Precht didn't spot her until moments before she collided with him.

"Oh! Pardon me!" Diana exclaimed, swaying on her feet. Precht's hand moved to her waist to steady her. "Must be these shoes on the tile. So sorry, monsieur."

"No harm," Precht assured her, his eyes lingering on the top of her gown a little too long. "Are you alright?"

"Splendid!" Diana said cheerfully. She swayed again and Precht eyed the champagne in her hand.