Chapter 10: The Witch Is Very Much Alive

- - - - Angelina Harte - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

"...witch?"

"Yes, witch." I specifically enunciate the word 'witch'. Like I'm talking to someone realllly dense.

"Really?"

"Yes."

"REALLY???"

"YES! What is with you? You were the one who brought up that she was a witch earlier!"

"I was using 'witch' as an insult! Like she's a bitch, so I called her a witch instead of a bitch. I didn't really mean witch in the literal sense! Witch was just more PG than bitch."

"Well---that was misleading!"

"It wouldn't have been misleading, if mom weren't an actual witch. In which case, we wouldn't even be having this conversation!"

"Well what about you!"

"What about me?"

"What do you mean newly shifted wolf? What does that even mean? That you're a werewolf or something? Pfffft---no way." I laugh with the image of my harmless Cammy turning into a big fluffy dog. No way. Nope. Not my Cammy.

Silence. After my burst of laughter, I wonder why no one has joined in. If most people claim to have 'shifted into a wolf' others would laugh right...? They were all glancing at each other. Sierra had that constipated look on her face again. Devon, Damien, and Cameron all had varying degrees of anger expressed on their faces. Like they were arguing with themselves or having some sort of internal battle. After some time, Cameron broke away from the group and started walking towards me. He grabs my hand and pulls me toward the couch that I'd been napping on moments earlier.

"Have a seat." Oh man. Why's he sound so serious? This is definitely not a Cameron I am used to. I freeze, suddenly wary. What's going on?

Forcibly stopped by me, Cameron turns around. He sees the look on my face and gently guides me onto the sofa. I resist, but his hand is gentle yet unyielding. Why's he so strong? He does this all very slowly and cautiously, treating me like he would a wounded or frightened animal. I don't blame him. My instincts are telling me to bolt right now.

After seating me on the couch, he lowers himself until we're eye to eye.

"Angie...Angelina. Exactly why do you think mom's...a witch?"

Ok...so we're going to start here. Not so bad...yet.

I answer a bit more defensively than I mean to in reaction to his tone. Does he not believe me? "I don't think she's a witch. I know she's a witch. And not a good witch either. She's a bad witch. A really bad witch." My eyes narrow dangerously as I speak. Daring him to call me a liar.

Cam raises both hands in peace. Appeasing the beast. "Ok ok. So you know she's a witch. Then let me change the question. How do you know she's a witch?"

"Well..." I glance at the audience behind him. I'm not sure if I should be saying this in front of them. Normal people would think I'm crazy.

Cameron follows my gaze. "It's ok. They're cool."

I raise my right eyebrow in question.

"They're...they're like me. They're pack...so whatever you say to me, you can say to them."

Pack...ok...I have so many questions. But based on the closed off faces around me, they aren't saying a single word until I explain. Huh.

I gulp uncomfortably. The amount of secrets around right now are suffocating. I'm not sure if I even want to expose their secrets, anymore than I wanna expose mine. Secrets are secret for a reason after all.