Breaking the Fourth Wall

I was over at Billy and Tommy's, yes again I know I practically live with them. Actually now that I think about it I can't remember the last time I slept at my own house. Anyways we were playing video games when  our game started freaking out. It turned from our regular switches, to playstation controllers, to joysticks and then Uno cards. I stayed downstairs while the boys rushed up to their mom's room to see if she'd come down and fix it. 

I was honestly worried about them, Billy kept going on about how it was noisy and that his head hurt when everything sounded normal to me and Tommy. I tried to give him some Advil or naproxen but he kept insisting that it wasn't that kind of hurt and I just shrugged it off.

When the boys came downstairs, Billy walked and Tommy ran naturally, they started to fight over the remote and I just watched from my place on the couch silently laughing.

"I got to it first," Tommy said pulling the remote towards himself.

"You always get to it first!" Billy said it tried to pull it towards himself. 

They stopped when they heard their mom walking down the stairs and I jumped up and grabbed the remote from their hands so that I could choose what we watch. When I saw Wanda though I paused, the boys looked at eachother kind of lost and confused and I started after her as she just ignored us and went for the kitchen. We went back to playing our game and our controllers thankfully went back to normal, but like five minutes later Wanda came out of the kitchen.

"Um, no," Tommy said.

"Don't even know who he is," I said without thinking.

"Do you wanna go look for him?" Billy asked his mom after giving me a sympathetic look.

"Well, if he doesn't want to be here, there's nothing I can do about it," Wanda shrugged and ate her cereal. She grabbed the remote and changed it to the weather channel, she seemed fine until Billy opened his mouth of course.

"Hey, mom, last night, Uncle P said something about re-killing dad?"

I was confused, honestly last night was a blur for me and I could barely remember anything that happened last night but chose to keep that to myself.

"Don't believe anything that man said. He is not your uncle," she snapped immediately.  

"Who is he?" Tommy asked confused. He was probably the most affected by him leaving other then maybe Wanda because they got along really well and Tommy looked up to him. 

Wanda paused not sure how to answer the question and just laughed dryly trying to come up with a good excuse. "Here's the thing, boys,"  she put the remote down. "I'm your mom. And as such, you were counting on. me to have all the answers, right?" she laughed humorlessly. Billy nodded his head, Tommy looked confused, and I felt like I was intruding on a private conversation. "Well. I don't," Wanda continued. "I have... no answers," she laughed again. "Zip. Zero. Zilch. Nada. Niente. I'm starting to believe that everything is...meaningless. You're welcome to draw your own conclusions of course, but that's just where I'm at."

We all stared at her a bit dumbfounded and I wanted to run and give her a hug. I know that she doesn't always like me but no one should feel like that and I wish that there was some way I could help her. Tommy and Billy looked at eachother freaked out and I just sat there  contemplating what I should do.

Wanda started sitting down and I was lost in thought and didn't realize till Tommy had to physically move me so that their could be room for his mom.

There was a knock at the door and Wanda used her red magic to open the door for my mom.

"Hi, Agnes. Come on in. I'd get up, but I just don't want to." I could tell Wanda was on the brink of losing it and so I climbed over Tommy's lap pushed him aside and gave Wanda a hug. She stiffened at first but relaxed and gave me a hug back and just whispered a simple "Thank You," in  my ear.