新巫女 | The New Miko

Life is full of mysteries; it can never be mundane. Situations and phenomena that are observable in the environment through the senses are not necessarily absolute. Beings unseen and invisible by the naked eye truly but terrifyingly exist and, just like lightning, pounce on unsuspecting and unprepared individuals. They become victims to these unexplained events which are also known by a handful few as "extra-natural" cases. 

What usually happens is that people die in the most unexplained ways. Even with the advent of modern technology, none can certainly know the whole story for sure. The police themselves and maybe up to a certain extent, detectives, do not necessarily know how these victims died nor what might have caused it. Investigations such as these are often handed over and delivered to professionals who specialize in the "extra-natural" phenomena. 

It is an exciting career and profession if the stench of death and the constant fear of losing one's own life while at work does not bother the laborer at all. Since the unseen world itself is not at all observed over the course of time, the great amounts of secrets are but a source of even greater threats to whoever devotes his life to the occupation. Many of the employees liken it to the vast deep ocean: only what has been observed is what is known. The truth of the matter is, beyond the darkness of the deep and towards the path of the unperceived, lies the greatest enigma of all time.

Of course, to engage in something supernatural, one must confront it with the same element. It goes without saying that this job is not really open for everybody but only for the gifted few who possess the ability to observe and perceive the world beyond the mundane.

One example is a freshman high schooler named Miho. She recalls that she had observed ghosts and other beings since she was a toddler. It was not an easy life though. There were moments she had to endure bullying and harassment simply for telling others that behind them are entities that look extremely grotesque as if they anticipate an opportunity to feast their own souls. Growing up, she becomes apathetic to her sixth sense. Their existence became extremely common, she'd be even more surprised if they are not there at all. 

"Miho!" Her self-awareness slowly came to mind after her classmate barked her name. It was already night; way beyond school hours. "I am parched. Like, bossing people around made my throat really dry. Go buy me a soda near the convenience store." 

"Understood. Uhm, what about the money?" 

The tallest woman among the girl group in front of Miho scowled. "Money? I don't have any." 

It was only then that Miho understood the situation and knew what her upperclassman meant. One of the reasons why she transferred to Tokyo was to have a fresh start at everything. She knew that bullying may not leave her alone, but maybe it was just a lot worse here. Every day, the girls would often tell her to buy things using her own cash just so that she gets accepted into their well-known and famous clique. She did get inside the circle though, but maybe not as a friend as she would have planned and fantasized. Instead, she politely became an errand runner for them because she did not want to feel alone in this new school, city, and metropolitan life. She believed that it was just fair - after all, their coterie was certainly popular among the school. Being part of it is a privilege.  

"Oh my god, I just had the best idea ever! Girls, if the little maid comes back with our drinks, let's make her enter the school. She won't be able to get out if we lock her there right?" 

"Oh, what a very splendid idea!" 

"I don't think that we should do that. I mean, you guys know about one of the school's wonders right? They say that a flesh-eating monster patrols the hallways and corridor and consumes anyone they see."