天の川 | The River of Heaven

"The River of Heaven is a magnificent and terrific panorama observable in this world during the night by the naked eye. However, only a handful few could hear the music it plays by the ears. It is often said by the ones who hear it that it is extremely peaceful, devoid of any negativities and pessimism this cursed and fallen world inflicts. Where did this primordial music come from? Well, only the Creator of everything knows for certain. It was not long until people started to document the phenomenon and made it an integral part of the culture especially in the aspect of mythology, superstition, and folktale. For many centuries, Japanese practitioners of divination would often say that the ones who hear the music of the Milky Way are folks who possess the capability to send souls to the door of heaven awaiting admission towards the eternal afterlife. 

This responsibility, however, is very rare and often is not given to anyone to whom the River of Heaven does not choose. It is often said that only one is chosen in one lifetime. Are you saying that you can hear such a thing?" 

This question has left a tremendous impact on Miho, who earlier lured the monster away from the building and onto the open field as was instructed to her by the stranger on the phone. It was quite simple for the monster to catch up to her speed and pace though considering its size. While on the verge of death, a man whose long hair swayed with the wind saved her in the nick of time. His katana clashed against the wonder's gigantic and deathly claws. There was something else peculiar about this man, Miho thought. The way his voice sounded is the same as the stranger she talked to on the phone earlier. 

"Are you by chance the one who called my number?"

"Yes. When you bumped against my companion earlier, you happened to drop your ID. You ran off when I was about to return it. You should be more careful about your valuables, Miho-san." 

Miho gazed in absolute amazement as she witnessed the long-haired man stand toe to toe against the dangerous and threatening "wonder". She marveled at the fact that not only he can see what she sees, but he can also fight such a demonic beast without breaking a sweat nor looking too exhausted. Every swing and slash from his sharp weapon were extremely precise, like a chef who knows where to dissect his raw food at the palm of his hand. It did not take too long for the "wonder" to be immobile and motionless. 

"Your turn Akira." He uttered and immediately, three silver arrows from afar struck the wonder in three points: forehead, heart, and navel in one shot. The demonic creature roared in agony until its blackness slowly dissipated and all that was left was a boy whose transparent body, like that of Kasumi's, emerged and materialized before them. 

"Kazuki?" Miho called out his name immediately after recognizing her classmate. The boy shed confused tears, never knowing what happened. Miho recalls that he was recently featured at a local newspaper who was reported to have been missing several weeks ago. What could have happened to him? More importantly, if he looked transparent like Kasumi, would that mean that he too, has died? 

"Why am I here, Miho? I don't remember what happened." Kazuki glanced around and witnessed his own flesh becoming more and more incorporeal. "What's going on?" 

You're dead. Inasmuch as she wanted to say it, she thought that the truth would hurt him more than ever. But what she couldn't say, the man beside her blatantly could. "You're dead. You have been brutally killed by someone and turned into a hideous monster that only craved human flesh. There's nothing much you can do now except to go to the other side and justify yourself before the Creator." 

The errand girl thought that the man beside her spoke quite rudely and coarsely to a classmate of hers who just slowly started to grasp and battle the reality of the predicament and situation he was in. If one must tell the truth, must it be done so in such a fashion? Telling someone that they're dead requires more feelings, empathy, and compassion. Where is his sense of ethics and integrity?