𝐳𝐮𝐤𝐨'𝐬 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲

━ 𝐳𝐮𝐤𝐨'𝐬 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲

━ 𝐳𝐮𝐤𝐨'𝐬 𝐛𝐢𝐫𝐭𝐡𝐝𝐚𝐲.

Months after Zuko had finally taken over the fire nation, his life slowly began to grow steadily again. It wasn't easy, of course. Work began to pile up, meeting's took most of his day and he could barely sleep without jolting awake from a nightmare. He'd spend most of his nights awake, scribbling away on letters and peace-treaties, not wanting to fall asleep just to be plagued by nightmares.

The dark marks under his eyes began to be noticeable, and worried most of his friends and colleagues. His uncle Iroh was the first to notice his lack of sleep and energy, and tried to consult the boy to try and sleep better, but came to no avail. As his condition worsened over the days, he tried to take over 50% of Zuko's meetings, but even that wouldn't help. Then he remembered the boy's birthday. It will be in a week's time! How could he forget something so special? Something Zuko only celebrated years ago, something very foreign to him.

Rushing with excitement, he ran to his study, grabbed a quill and began to write slowly on the paper, delicately. He wanted Zuko to celebrate something that he could never in his own childhood. It was quite a long letter, but he has written longer. Sealing the letter, he walked down the halls of the ridiculously huge palace. Nodding at the guards as he reached the exit, he slipped the letter into the messenger's hand, and off it went.

Iroh sighed, his shoulders sagging. "Are you alright, sir?" He turned slowly, looking at one of the guards. Iroh smiled, nodding. "Yes, I'm fine, just a long day."

The guard saluted him as Iroh walked back inside, ordering one of the guards to send him his finest brewed tea. As he strutted down the hallway, he stopped by Zuko's study, wondering if it'd be wise to peer in. He could hear the light scribble's of the quill, and saw the dim light seep in through the doorway.

He gently nudged the door, peering his head in. "Zuko?" He glanced to the corner of the room, watching his nephew drop his quill as he looked to his uncle.

"Uncle..." Zuko whispered, getting up to greet him properly. Even from this far away, he could see the tiredness radiating from Zuko, and it continued to worry him further.

Zuko bowed down, and as he rose, his uncle pulled him into a hug. He choked on his words, but melted in the warmth. Zuko never realized how much he needed the simple warmth and touch of a loved one. He was so, so tired. He just wanted to sleep, forever if possible. It was worse as work piled up, and had the duty to repay those who suffered in the war. Tears slowly stung the corners of his eyes, and his grip on his uncle's shoulders loosened.

Zuko felt weak.

He hated feeling weak.

"Rest, Zuko." Uncle Iroh murmured, pulling apart. "I'll handle the rest." Zuko sniffled, shaking his head stubbornly as he wiped his tears.