Chapter 3

My phone goes off for what seems like the 100th time today. It’s him trying to call me, I know it is. Ariana is sitting in front of me ‘keeping watch’ as she puts it.

‘Are you going to answer that?’ She asks annoyed. I shake my head looking down into my chocolate beverage. ‘Why are you ignoring him?

‘Because.’ Why was I ignoring him?

‘You’re afraid’ she murmurs. Excuse me? ‘I know you like him, it’s obvious.’ Did I like him? ‘Name me five things you like about him.’ She states. Five?

‘He’s good looking, kind, funny, sweet, and last but not least persistent.’ She looks confused.

‘You like that he’s persistent?’ I nod. ‘That’s weird.’ The doorbell sounds and I get up to answer it. I look through the peephole first. It’s… a delivery man? Opening it, he hands me a parcel and walks away without a second glance. I sit back down in my original seat and place the box in my lap. It’s about 30cm by 30cm with a depth of about 20cm. I look up at a confused Ariana. I grab the scissors off the side and open the box. I pull out a dark red wool dress, similar to the one I had when it got coffee stained by Beau. I remember telling Ariana that after washing the dress the stain had returned. The box has a note at the bottom of it, reading:
It seems like I’m always saying sorry to you, and I hate it. Please don’t ignore me – Beau

‘What is it?’ She indicates to the note.  I shake my head.

‘Don’t worry,’ I don’t know whether I should give him the satisfaction. We watch TV for about an hour till another package turns up for me. This one larger, heavier, than the previous one. She answers the door, and then opens the package left on the floor for me. Inside is the most beautiful pair of suede ankle boots ever made. Dark grey with studs on the back.

‘There’s no note to this one – did you order these?’ I shake my head. Another knock interrupts our thoughts – what the…? I open the door to a florist holding a massive bunch of red roses. He makes me sign a clipboard, and then hands me the load. I carry them in, closing the door with my hip. A gasp escapes Arianas lips. I place them on the side – and oh what a guess! Another note!

Don’t ignore my calls. Please, I need to talk to you.

And on cue my phone blares. We both look at it, knowing whose calling. The same person sending everything – Beau. I pick up the phone, pressing accept. We don’t speak at first; I wait for him to say something except all I hear is heavy breathing on the other side.

‘Belle?’ I hang up immediately.

‘Why?!’ Ariana yells. I throw my hands up in the air.

‘I panicked!’

‘You’re afraid! I knew it!’ She screeches standing up.

‘Afraid of what?!’ I return.

‘Falling in love,’ she whispers. Those three words send me over the edge. Is it true? Could it be true?  I shake my head.

‘It’s not because of that! Don’t be stupid’ I mutter.

‘Prove it’ I re dial Beaus number, hearing the sound that indicates I’m trying to connect a call – the beeping makes me start to shake. I am not going to back out of this now.

‘Beau?’

‘Yes.’ He sighs. ‘Why have you been ignoring me?’

‘I don’t know’

‘She does!’ Ariana shouts. I send her a glare, and walk to my room, wanting privacy.

‘Ignore her.’ I say.