Chapter 5

‘I knew it!’ I exclaim down the receiver.

‘Well, we’re taking him down the hospital to get checked out. You lot are coming back now aren’t you?’ Luke responds.

‘Yes we’re coming back now – I told him he needed to get checked out or something but no.’ I huff.

‘Well this is Beau we’re talking about.’ He laughs.

‘As soon as he gets better-’

‘I would rather not know.’

‘Perverted mothertrucker.’

‘You’re funny.’

‘Well I think I am.’ I say. ‘I’m going – tell Beau he’s in trouble.’ He relays the message and I hear a groan in the background.

‘I’m guessing you heard that right?’ Luke says.

‘That’s right I did – I have to go Ariana and Jai are walking a mile ahead of me so… see you!’ I hang up and half run trying to catch up with the couple. I knew Beau was ill! I stand about a metre behind, not wanting to disrupt their conversation.

‘Are we going now?’ I ask, trying to put my bags in my big backpack.

‘No.’ Jai says.

‘Why?’ I ask. We all stop in the shopping centre, and huddle together.

‘Because he’s a big boy Belle.’ Ariana says.

‘Well that’s fucking stupid.’ I say, crossing my arms.

‘He’s probably got a stomach bug.’ Jai explains.

‘Stomach bug or not I’m going to the hospital to see him.’ I turn on my heel heading for the exit, ignoring their shouts. I hate it when people talk to me like a bloody child.

I pay the taxi driver and jump out, putting my backpack on my shoulders. I walk into the main part of the hospital and wait for Luke to come and retrieve me. I feel hands pinch my waist and I jump an odd metre in the air, squeaking.

‘Not funny.’ I turn, hissing at Luke. He’s grinning, silently laughing. He walks off, and I obediently follow, not having a clue where I’m going. Walking down the corridor, he slows down, walking next to me.

‘He’s annoyed by the way.’ He says.

‘Why?’

‘Because he doesn’t want you ill.’ He puts his hands in the pockets of his jeans, still walking.

‘Well I’m here for the next week, and I ain’t spending time with Jariana – it sucks being the third wheel. I more or less walked around the shopping centre on my own while they were all cute and adorable. I started feeling sick myself.’ I readjust my denim jacket over my burgundy joggers and black bralet. It was a bit rainy today so I went with some joggers.

We turn a corner and see Gina stretching in the uncomfortable looking seat.

‘Painful?’ I ask sitting next to her, placing my bag on the floor.

‘Very.’ She says.

‘Miss Brooks?’ A nurse asks – young, maybe 23? Brown hair, green eyes. Gina nods smiling.

‘He has food poisoning.’ Gina automatically looks at Luke.

‘Why aren’t you ill then?’ Gina asks, making him burst into laughter. ‘You’re the one who cooked yesterday.’

‘Well… I may have undercooked his food slightly… Don’t look at me like that! I thought the food wouldn’t hurt him!’

‘Grounded.’ Gina says firmly, Luke’s mouth now agape.

‘Miss?’ The nurse prods.

‘Oh sorry.’ Gina stands and follows the nurse into presumably Beaus room. Luke sits next to me.

‘You mad?’

‘Yes – I took a 16 hour flight, for my boyfriend to be ill.’ I say sighing. I text Ariana letting her know. She’s not really bothered as her and Jai are going on a date. Gina walks out nurse in tow.

‘Luke? A word?’ Gina fake smiles. ‘Belle he wants to see you.’ I nod, pick my bag up and walk into the hospital room. Beaus lying on the bed with the pillow covering his face. I shake my head and sit on the chair next to his bed, putting my bag on the floor.

‘What are you doing?’ I laugh.

‘Trying to stop you from getting ill.’ His voice is muffled.

‘Uh huh, well I’m staying here so you’re going to suffocate babe.’ He lifts the pillow slightly, just being able to see me.

‘Did you just call me babe?’ He raises his brow.

‘Are you trying to get me ill?’ I muse, smiling. He lets the pillow fall on his head again, making me groan. He laughs and I throw my magazine at him.

‘Don’t be mean to the hospital patient.’ He jokes. We experience an awkward silence before I pipe up, speaking my thoughts – a terrible habit I inherited from my mother.

‘Are we going to be able to do this?’ I pick my fingernails, chipping the green polish. Beau lifts the pillow off his head, and places it under it instead, sitting him upright.

‘Are you breaking up with me?’ The look of sadness on his face makes me feel guilty. I stand and sit on the end of the bed, entwining my fingers with his.

‘No, of course not.’ I say, smiling. He gives my hand a squeeze, and I meet his eye. He smiles, as he strokes my knuckles.

‘I hate hospitals.’ He laughs.

‘Really? I thought they were a haven. Who can resist hospital food?’ I joke, he pouts, confusing me. ‘What?’ I ask.

‘Lay with me?’ He grins. I shake my head. ‘Please?’ I repeat the gesture, causing him to narrow his eyes. He takes my other hand and pulls me, further up the bed. He’s strong for a sick person. I end up with a knee on either side of his legs. He kisses my jaw, and I sit to one side of him, leaning on his shoulder. He puts an arm around me, and kisses the top of my head.

‘I still can’t believe I’m ill while you’re visiting.’ He huffs. I lift my head up, and look at him.

‘We’re together though, and we will stay together because I can’t stand being near Jariana. I’m a green eyed monster.’ I state.

‘I guess we are, and as soon as I get better…’  He places a hand on my thigh, making me giggle. I trail kisses along his jaw, and then whisper in his ear:

‘Well the more you rest the quicker you’ll get better.’