Chapter 23

"Is that Kikuoka again?" Asuna asked looking at Kirito curiously. He nodded, "That's the third time in the last few hours maybe you should answer it. He hardly ever calls this much."

Kirito sighed, "Yeah you're right." Kirito answered the phone and pressed it against his ear, "Yes Kikuoka?"

"..."

Kirito glanced at Asuna, "She's with me now." Kirito sighed and looked at her fully, "Asuna remember that thing I talked to you about a week ago when Kikuoka said he might go on TV making a public announcement about SAO being over?"

"Yes... Is that what he's calling about?" Asuna asked confused.

He nodded again, "Yea, he's at the TV station now. He wanted to double check and make sure it's alright to use our player names in the announcement."

Asuna hesitated, "But my player name is my name..."

"He just wants to use the player name. Our last names won't be mentioned. Neither will our pictures be shown. Plus, I'm sure there has to be at least one other person in Japan named Asuna... Maybe..." Kirito chuckled nervously.

Asuna rolled her eyes, "Alright fine. I guess it doesn't really matter anyway since my last name will be changing soon anyway." Asuna smirked satisfied at Kirito's slightly tinted cheeks.

Kirito looked to the side where his phone was, "You hear that? We're all good here."

"..."

"Ok thanks for the heads up. Bye." Kirito said before putting his phone back in his pocket.

Asuna folded her hands together and sat her chin on them, "Heads up for what?"

"Apparently it's airing now and will replay later tonight. Though it will probably be a topic for the next few days at least."

Asuna nodded, "Probably. Wouldn't be surprised if it lasted longer. But I am glad it's over."

"Me too... but I'm still grateful... I would never had met you or Yui otherwise." Kirito smiled at her taking her hand and squeezing it gently.

Asuna was about to add something when the waiter brought over their food. He bowed, "Is there anything else I can get you?"

Asuna looked from the waiter to Kirito, "Anything else Kirito?"

He looked at the waiter, "I think we're good at the moment, but we'll take some dessert after."

The waiter nodded and walked off. Something caught Kirito's eyes and he looked through the window behind Asuna into the restaurant. Asuna looked at him curiously before turning as well, "What is it Kirito?"

"The news is on, over at the bar. I can see the subtitles. They just said Kikuoka was about to come on."

Asuna watched the TV closely and sure enough Kikuoka appeared a few seconds later. He was apologizing for the SAO and ALO incidents. As Kikuoka spoke the TV screen read, "I would like to thank two players who were key parts in ending both incidents. Kirito and Asuna. These two players, not only were in SAO and ALO but in both cases they were able to overcome the situation and free hundreds of innocent children, including themselves. If it had not been for their selfless efforts and determination, I am not sure we would've been able to save as many people."

There was a clatter followed by the sound of glass breaking causing the pair to rip their attention from the TV. The pair looked over to the left of the bar to see their waiter holding his hands over his mouth with tears flowing down his cheeks. He turned and met their eyes and his eyes tear filled eyes widened more before the ran into the kitchen.