Chapter 195: The Path of the Female Lead is Not an Easy Road

No! I absolutely don’t want that to happen! Bai Xiangxiu woke up abruptly, no hesitation on her mind. Because she had decided to not return to the modern world, she lay on the table and began to weep. She seemed extremely heartbroken.

By the time Xiaoshi and the rest found her, both her eyes were swollen red from crying. She looked like she was about to faint from sadness. Everyone felt their hearts break when they saw her. Madame Xiu must be thinking about His Highness. Otherwise, why would she come to a place with no one around to cry alone? It must be because she doesn’t want others to see her crying.

Bai Xiangxiu had realized by now that her identity was no longer something as simple as a female supporting character. After all, she should’ve been killed long before Long Heng’s departure for war. She decided that it was time to think of the future. Since she was no longer sure how the plot would move forward from here on out, she could only try to refer to some of the plot points that she remembered from skimming through the novel.

One of the plot points had mentioned how Long Heng had met with a strong enemy on the battlefield. He had remained trapped for a very long time and had only managed to escape with the female lead’s help. As for how she had managed to help him, it wasn’t mentioned in the plot. But since the plot line had deviated to such an extent, there was also a possibility that nothing would happen to him.

After comforting Bai Xiangxiu to the best of their ability, the servants then escorted her back to Apricot Garden, carrying Huo’er along them them. Even though this matter was quietly settled, the old madame gained an even higher opinion of Bai Xiangxiu. After all, wouldn’t others run their mouths if they were to see Bai Xiangxiu cry openly just because she missed her husband? But she’d decided to weep in secret instead. If it wasn’t for others finding her missing late in the night, nobody would’ve known that she was secretly crying from her sorrow.

The entire situation made the old madame reminisce about her husband. Back then, she could only weep in secret because she still had to bear the weight of the family on her shoulders. Her situation at that time was not unlike that of Bai Xiangxiu’s now. Bai Xiangxiu may look weak, but there was some similarities between the two of them.

Even though word eventually spread outside, everyone commended Bai Xiangxiu for being such a demure and well-behaved concubine. She was someone who missed her husband, but would only miss him in secret. At least, that was what passed through Song Jiaoyue’s mind. Now that Long Heng had a fair and lovely son, Song Jiaoyue’s family had begun to arrange some marriages for him as well. However, Song Jiaoyue rejected all of them without a second thought.

He was still carrying a sense of guilt and regret towards Bai Xiangxiu. His decision way back then had lead her to this sort of life. Even though she might seem blessed, Song Jiaoyue was feeling a sense of loss that nobody would ever understand.

All of a sudden, news came that Long Heng and imperial officer Prince Rong were trapped in Tranquil City. The enemy had used some kind of weird tactic that they couldn’t break through, so they could only hide in the city and try and come up with a plan. Song Jiaoyue wasn’t just worried about his friend; he was worried about Bai Xiangxiu as well. If anything were to happen to Long Heng, Bai Xiangxiu, with her weak and delicate physique, would not be able to handle the pain.

The Prince Li Manor received the news as well. The old madame was clearly shaken by the news and nearly fainted. Bai Xiangxiu was shocked as well. She’d known that something would happen, but she’d never expected it to be so serious. Trapped in a city. Anyone who had watched any television show would know how serious it was. If they were trapped for any more than half a month, they’d be in peril from the lack of food and water.