Chapter Five

Credits to haikyutiesss on Instagram for the fanart!

***

His eyelids were heavy, and slow. Sakusa tried to move, but a miserable headache kept him still, groaning in pain.

"Yer up! Oh, thank goodness." 

Sakusa heard a sudden excited voice, agrevating his headache. He suddenly felt a damp cloth damp on his forehead in a soft and caring motion. He squinted his eyes shut again, twisting and pushing against the matress until he managed to sit upright.

"What happened..?" he asked, his voice hoarse and dry. He pressed against his forhead, trying to pressure away the pain.

"Ya passed out a couple hours ago. I think ya got a heat stroke or something." Atsumu explained, dipping the material in a bowl of fresh water. "Komori thought you died." he laughed. "But I'm glad yer okay." he smiled, giving Sakusa the wet towel.

"Thanks.."

"Ya want some water? You're probable really dehydrated" 

Sakusa nodded. In a matter of seconds, he emptied the whole pouch, barely allowing himself to breathe. 

"Hey, slow down, yer gonna choke yourself." the captain chuckled.

Sakusa wiped his mouth and smiled lightly, satisfied.

"Did you stay with me the whole time?" 

A state of surprise appeared on the golden boy's features. Sakusa regretted asking the question immediately, cursin his stupid trap to never recognize when it's time to shut up. The embarrassement grew under his tired eyes. As he was about to take back the question, Atsumu mumbled an answer.

"Komori and Aran brought you in. They came to get me right after so, I guess so, yeah..."

Sakusa tried to stand from the mattress, but Atsumu stopped him. Sakusa sent him a questioning look, but the older boy only took to pouch and made his way to fill it up again. 

"Stay down, ya need to rest." he said.

"Atsumu, why are you helping me..?"

Again, his dumb mouth, but he simply needed to ask. It had been swirling around his mind ever since that night at the bar. The captain had no benefits in being so nice to him or any people of his social status. Was it money he wanted? Fame? Power?

Atsumu took a few moments. "The bullshit answer, or the honest one?"

"Honest one..."

Atsumu breathed heavily, making his way back to the office chair he had put close to the bed.

"Honestly, I don't know why. I'm not one to believe in things like faith, but when I saw you sulking in the corner, I just knew I had to help you any way I could..." Atsumu handed the drink back to Sakusa. They made eye contact, for just a few seconds, but Sakusa could swear his heart skipped a beat or two. Sakusa caught the captain's sight drop for a moment a few inches lower, just under his nose, but before he could say anything, Atsumu stood nervously and made his way towards the door.

"I-I'll let you rest, now. We'll stop in an hour to go for our bath, I'll come and get ya then." he smiled, turning away. Before Atsumu could leave, Sakusa called his name. 

"Thank you... for everything." he told him, not looking away from his dark and mesmerizing eyes. Atsumu's cheeks deepened in color, before he noddeda and closed the door, leaving Sakusa on his own with his hammering heart.

During the passing hour, Sakusa could not have relaxed less. He twisted and turned from the pain and tried to escape his thoughts with books to read, but nothing worked. It only helped to worsen his small migraine.