Chapter Thirteen

Credits to peach_tonic and ushidilf for the fanart!

***

After changing his clothes, Sakusa followed Atsumu's steps and walked outside. It took him a few seconds to adjust to the bright light before being greeted by Komori, who was on the furtest part of the ship. Sakusa waved back.

Atsumu was already making his way downstairs with his twin. Sakusa sent him a shy wave, receiving a smile in return before he closed the trap over his head.

"I'm sure you have good intentions," a voice began beside him. Sakusa tilted to see Suna, standing on the side of the boat in perfect balance. "But you better not have been wasting our time." 

"How do you mean?" Sakusa frowned at the attack.

"You know what I mean. You saw the way he smiled at you just now."

Sakusa didn't reply, he had nothing to add at the cat's comment. In the same instance, Komori joined them, smiling, as always.

"Feelings better?" Komori tempted, looking over the governor's features in concern.

Sakusa knew that Suna had an idea of his thoughts. He knew the reason he stayed up all night. Knew his plan. He read him like an open book. He shook away the thought.

"Yes, thank you." he smiled down at Komori. When he looked back towards the edge, Suna was already gone, walking away without another glance.

***

Atsumu didn't really want to have this conversation with his brother. Not at all, as a matter of fact. But he knew he'd need to have it sooner or later. They made their way to the crew's room in deep silence. Atsumu tried to take quiet, deep breaths to calm his nerves, but he could sense his twin's tension as well. He could always tell whenever the other felt pressured or nervous. It was one thing he could actually read from Osamu's stiff and serious figure.

Once in the empty corner, the atmosphere was dense and annoyingly quiet. Atsumu sat down on the table he'd clean up the other night, and his brother sat on the hospital bed not far from him. He waited, arms crossed over his chest, defensive and angry.

"I know ya won't forgive me..." Osamu began, making all the efforts he could not to stutter the words. "And I understand. I just wanted to say that I'm sorry for keeping it a secret... And, also, to say that I only did so because I wanted to protect ya..."

"Protect me?" Atsumu bit. "I'm not a baby, Osamu." He knew that using his brother's real name would affect him more so than if he used his usual nickname. Nevertheless, he was pissed, and be didn't really care. "Ya gave me false hope. For 14 years at that!"

"I know..."

"And not only that, but ya broke the only thing I ever expected from you..."

"Tsumu, ya have to understand, I didn't mean for it to go on for so long!"

"What do you mean! We've had this plan since that same summer Dad dropped us off!"

"I know that!" the ashen haired boy cried. "Just, seeing ya so hopeful back then, I was so young and I didn't want to believe it either... You were always that spotlight whenever I felt down, and I didn't want to drag that brightness down with me."

No words or sentences came up in Atsumu's mind. He knew what his brother meant. Osamu had been that same light for him as well, whenever he was down and desperate.

"Just, don't treat me like I'm a kid. I'm older than you."

"BY LIKE 20 MINUTES!" Osamu claimed, frowning, a glimpse of playfulness in his iris.