Chapter 4. Little Bird

Three months later....

Hannah stared at the Native American sitting so calmly across from her while her frustration built with every passing minute. She was angry that he refused to teach her how to fight, instead he was making her sit outside with her legs cross and meditate. She picked up a small stick and threw it at his face. Her mouth dropped open when he caught it in mid-air before it reached his face. His eyes had been closed....

"How on earth did you?" She shook her head. "Whatever! You promised to teach me how to fight and defend myself. What happened to seeking vengeance and wreaking havoc on all the bastards who hurt me? Was it all a lie?"

Dakota opened his eyes and spoke to her softly. "My little bird isn't ready to fly from the nest yet."

"Why? I'm more ready than I've ever been!"

"Your spirit is willing and strong, but your body and mind are still weak..."

"How dare you call me weak!"

"Please do not be insulted by my observation, but you are weak and suffer from malnutrition. This was done to you on purpose so that you would not be strong enough to put up a fight, so that they could always overpower you. Before we began our revenge you must rest and eat good foods to heal your body and build your strength. I cannot train you while you're still so fragile..."

"Fragile," Hannah spit the word back at him like a bad taste in her mouth. "I hate that word as I do weak and vulnerable and everything else that's used to associate with me. I want to be like Ebony."

"And you will, my little bird, but right now you need to have patience and you need to clear your mind. Right now all you can think of vengeance. You're angry and your emotions are out of control. It will get you killed in a battle. First lesson is to heal yourself inside and out..."

"And how long will this take?"

"However long it needs to take...."

"I can't do this!" Hannah stood up.

"Then we will try again tomorrow..."

"We've been trying this for two weeks and it's not working. I can't just sit here and do nothing. My mind is filled with too many troubled thoughts of the past that I live through every time I sit here. I need something to focus on..."

Dominic was passing by when he heard her and dropped a basket of dirty laundry beside her. "You can wash my clothes like a woman should when she's at home doing nothing. That will give you something to focus on. And iron my slacks, I like a good crease in the middle...that will definitely give you something to focus on..."

Hannah kicked over his basket of dirty clothes and watched the wind blow his underwear across the yard.

"You little..." Dominic started to yell, but literally felt Dakota glaring daggers in his back. He grabbed his basket and ran off to scoop up his clothes.

"My garden needs tending too. I am not always able to do it because I'm away at times. Ebony helps when she can, but perhaps I can give you full responsibility for it."

Hannah smiled. She had wanted to ask, but was uncertain if he'd let her.

Dakota stood up. She suddenly swung her bare foot at his stomach. He caught it gently and kissed her toes.

She frowned.

He smiled and winked at her. "Not quite ready, little bird."

Hannah had been trying to catch the Native American off guard all week and it was driving her crazy that she couldn't do it. Instead of getting irritated at her, he was beginning to enjoy it way too much for her liking.