Chapter 6. The Return of Rex

Dominic walked up to Rex as he laid moaning in pain on the ground with two arrows sticking out of his shoulders. "Serves you right, blowing up people bedrooms, you bastard!"

Dakota squatted on the large limb beside Hannah and aimed the third arrow at Rex's head. Hannah gasped and grabbed his arm just as he shot. "Don't! He saved my life! I fell into the river and he saved me from drowning!"

The third arrow ended up in Dominic's left leg. He yelled in pain and fell to the ground beside Rex.

"Why did he shoot Dominic?" Fabian asked as he watched Dominic scream in pain.

"He wasn't aiming for Dominic. Hannah must have stopped him," Ebony told him. She stared up in the trees trying to locate him. "Dakota!" I didn't give you permission to kill Rex! He's still my family! I decide what happens to him!"

"And what is that?" Silas asked standing beside her. "What will you do with him?"

"Nikolas, Fabian, Silas help me bring them inside so we can tend to their wounds. Rex can't do any harm to us now, thanks to Dakota immobilizing him."

"I wasn't trying to hurt anyone. I was just having some fun," Rex told them.

"You tried to kill me!" Dominic hissed at him.

"I knew you weren't in your room. I was just messing with you cause you're such a pretty boy. What man hangs silky red curtains on his windows? Can someone give me some morphine? One arrow is enough but two! I'm in a lot of pain right now!"

Hannah watched the men help Rex and Dominic into the building before turning back to Dakota. She noticed they were in the tree next to their window. Dakota pulled her with him and helped her climb inside their room. The first thing she saw was a large brown cloth bag that seemed to have several round objects in it. Blood was dripping from the table onto the floor. Attached to it was the list she'd given him. Every name had been crossed out in red.

She stared back at the bag, the wind shifted, and the smell of death hit her nose causing her gag. "Are those...heads in the bag? You brought me all of their heads?"

Dakota nodded.

"Take it away, please! Just get them out of here!" She ran to the window to breathe in fresh air.

She heard him grab the bag and leave the room. She turned around and stared at the puddle of blood on the floor and trail of blood leading outside the room. She climbed out the window, climbed down the tree and threw up once she'd reached the ground.

She had to get away from this craziness!

Dakota found her in the woods leaning against a tree taking in deep breaths. He hadn't meant to scare her so badly. He squatted down in front of her and handed her a cold-water bottle. "Drink," he demanded.

Hannah gladly accepted it and drunk it down.

"Your clothes are still wet. You will get sick if you do not change them." Dakota handed her a towel and a dry set of clothing.

Hannah stared up at him. She dropped the bottle, the clothes and the towel and slowly stood up.

The hard slap could be heard echoing through the woods. Birds flew away frightened from the sound.

Dakota stood there, staring at her quietly as she glared at him.

"Why?! Why did you take my revenge away from me? You promised me I could have it! Why?!"

He could see the hurt in her eyes, feel the rage coming from her. She had trusted him and in a way he had broken it. He knew he would hurt her by doing this.