Chapter 8. Dakota's History

"Tell me more about you, Dakota," Hannah said as they sat in a tree together resting and enjoying the sunset. Dakota had been teaching her how to use a bow and arrow to hunt. He told her she needed to learn to live off the land as he did, he was not the type to live in an apartment or house in the city. Hannah had no problems staying in the country away from other people. She was all about becoming one with nature.

"I am the man you see today," Dakota said.

"Yes, but how did you become this man," Hannah wanted to know. "You know everything about me, all the horrid details of my insignificant little life in the past, but I know nothing of you."

"Your life is not insignificant."

"No, it isn't now. You and the others gave me a chance to have a life and to tell you the truth I haven't quite figured out what to do with it except be with you, but you... you have lived."

"My life is also full of horrid details, little bird. I am afraid you may fly away from me if I told you."

"No, I wouldn't. I'm the last person in the world to judge you. Please, let me know the man I fell in love with."

Dakota was silent for a moment as if contemplating what he should tell her. He shook his head. "I do not know how to begin..."

"Then let me ask the questions," Hannah said.

Dakota arms tightened around her. She could feel his muscles tense against her. He really didn't want her to know. "If you don't feel comfortable talking to me then I won't push you," she told him. She gently rubbed his arms to relax him.

"I will answer your questions," Dakota finally said, "but I won't let you run from me afterwards. You are mine, Hannah. I will never let you go."

Hannah blinked. Was it really that bad? She hesitated, perhaps she shouldn't ask...

"Ask me whatever you wish, I have nothing to hide from you."

Hannah cleared her throat. "How many girlfriends have you had?"

Hannah felt Dakota's entire body stiffen against her. She frowned. Was he some type of playa? Why did that question make him tense? She could feel her jealousy and anger slowly rising the longer he waited to answer her question.

Dakota suddenly burst out laughing, a loud deep laugh that scared a few birds away from the tree they were sitting in. He hugged her close to him and kissed her temple.

"Well, I'm glad you find it so funny..." Hannah pushed his arms away from her. She started to get down from the tree.

He stopped her and pulled her back into his arms. "I was not expecting that question," Dakota told her. "I have never had girlfriends. The life I lived wouldn't let me."

"But you were with other women before me, right?"

"I am a man Hannah, of course..."

She turned her head away from him. He pulled her back against his chest and bent down to whisper in her ear. "Are you jealous?" he teased before playfully biting her earlobe.

She knew she was being ridiculous, but for some reason she had wanted to be the only woman he touched.

As if reading her mind, Dakota moved her long hair to one side where he was free to kiss her neck. "You are the only woman I have ever loved, Hannah. The first and only to hold my heart in your hands and I do not love easily."

His warm breath and lips against her sensitive skin caused her to tremble in his arms. For a moment, she lost herself in his tender caresses completely forgetting about her interrogation of his past. No, she couldn't let him distract her. She needed to take advantage while he was being so agreeable. She might not ever get a chance to talk to him again about this. Dakota rarely opened himself to anyone.