chapter fourteen

When she woke up she was as sore as she had ever been. Kato looked to see if Oryx was next to her but the bed was empty except for her. She went to sit up and winced at the pain in her thighs. Kato sat up and slipped her shorts back on. She smiled remembering last night. That was the best she had ever felt and she couldn't wait to try it again. She shook her head. 'don't get ahead of yourself Kato, it was a one time thing.' she brushed her hair and teeth and went out into the living room. She saw him cooking in the kitchen. She thought he looked the happiest she's ever seen him. And not because she rocked his world the night before. She sat down at the island and smiled. "Good morning." she said. He jumped and looked around to her. "Well good morning Darling." he smiled and handed her a plate. It was a egg with a smiley face made of bacon. She laughed and got up to make a cup of coffee. Oryx came up behind her and hugged her. She patted his face while she waited. "Did you enjoy it?" he asked, digging his face into her neck. She asked what he was talking about, already knowing. "Last night." he bit her neck gently and she smacked him lightly. "I enjoyed it. Considering." She teased. "Considering what?" he whined. "Considering it being my first time." she shook her head and smiled. His jaw dropped and he smiled. "First time?!" he said with shock. She rolled her eyes and sat back down with a wince. "What's wrong?" he asked. "Nothing. Just a little sore. Last night." she sipped her coffee while eating a piece of bacon. Oryx nodded. "How's your rib?" Kato nodded. "It feels fine." she picked at her eggs and finished them while he cleaned up. She stood up took his face into her hands. She stared into his eyes and looked away. She helped wash the dishes and went into the living room, out of breath.  "Are you sure you're okay?" Oryx asked again. Kato shook her head this time. "I'm not sure. It feels like something is coming. Like a bad omen." she explained. She lay her head on the back of the couch and winced. Something was coming. 
"We need more weapons. This one will be stronger. This one is my fear of weakness." she explained. Oryx grabbed his duffel back and got his jacket on, loading his gun. "i'm coming with you." she said. She threw her hoodie on and started lacing her shoes. "It's too dangerous." he said. Kato looked up and snorted. "I laugh in the face of danger." and she grabbed her bows and walked out the door.  Oryx sighed and rushed out the door after her. Kato waked down the sidewalk peering into cars. Oryx watched as she opened one and looked for the keys. "Do you really think the cars are going to work?" he said suspiciously. "We're stuck inside of MY head. I can make whatever i want to happen, happen." as she finished explaining this,  a pair of keys dropped from the visor above her. She smirked at him as he got into the door. 
As Kato started the car she paused. "What's wrong?" Oryx asked. "We're running out of time." Kato waved him off and looked out the window at the shadow of a creature far away. "You're right. It's coming." She pressed on the accelerator and sped off through the city. "So, where exactly are we going?" Oryx asked as he fastened his seatbelt. "The Avengers tower. They have an armory there that will help." she said and she pressed on the gas a little more. 
When they arrived, Kato rushed through the door with her bow drawn. Oryx stayed behind her and watched their backs. As he was killing the gremlin things, Kato felt stronger with each passing minute. When they got to the armory, they hurried and got the supplies that they needed. As they were getting their shit together, they heard a deathly roar that made the hair on their necks stand up. "It's here."