chapter twelve

Kato and oryx rushed down the stairs and hid under the windows on the 1st floor. Oryx grabbed his shotgun and cocked it while Kato got her sniper and arrows ready. "We have to find it's weak spot. If we don't it will be harder to take down." Kato said as she peered over the corner. "How many of these things to we have to fight Kat?" Oryx said as sweat poured out of his face and hands. He slipped while trying to put the barrel back in. He leaned back against the wall and watched as Kato was looking through the scope. The monster was big but not as slow as you would think. It didn't seem to know where they were and it continued to look around and peer inside buildings. It was a tall, skeleton type of creature and its roars could curdle milk. It stepped on one of the dead spiders and made a noise of what seemed like disgust.  And then Kato and Oryx saw realization cross its face. Kato propped the gun up on the window sill and pointed it to a little crack on the shoulder. She shot at it and hit it dead on. The monster screamed and dropped on its knee. "The shoulder. Hit the shoulder." she shook oryx. He nodded and started shooting. He only hit the shoulder 1 out of 4 times. Kato looked at him with an exasperated look. "I'm nervous" he replied. Kato continued to shoot until the monster was standing in front of the library roaring, and shaking the entire ground. Kato took Oryx's sword and slashed the bone feet at the crevice. The monster fell to the ground and swiped at her. She tripped and fell and the monster grabbed her and started to squeeze. As Kato was struggling to get out she screamed and threw the sword at the weak shoulder. She slumped over and felt herself falling as the monster shrieked its last roar.
Kato lied on the ground trying to catch her breath. Oryx rushed over to her and kneeled over her. "Well this feels familiar." he joked. She smiled not having the energy to laugh. "I think it broke my rib." She winced and she patted her side. "Definitely" she said and lay her head back on the ground. Oryx nodded and took her in his arms. "Im gonna sit you down inside while i get my sword." he said, reassuringly. 
He lied her on a table in the library and walked back out to grab his sword. While he was gone, Kato thought about her fears. 6/7 were gone. And this was just the beginning. She wiped tears that were falling down her face before oryx could see. "Do you want to talk about it?" he asked. Kato picked up the book that was sitting in the chair. "When we get back to your house." She said and she slowly got her self down. Oryx put his arm around her to help keep her elevated while they walked. They rushed home, darkness approaching.