Cold Stares

The rest of the year was nothing remarkable. With Ford by your side, you went through your classes, studied, and enjoyed several games of Dungeons, Dungeons, and More Dungeons. You had a few years of experience hanging over him, but you had to admit, Ford was becoming a formidable opponent, and he seemed to be getting better and better at the game each time you played.

Now, you and Ford sat side by side, waiting for the plane you were in to take to the skies. You drummed your fingers on your arm rest, allowing your mind to wander freely. As you were caught drifting between reality and your imagination, you became aware of Ford's presence beside you. "Do you ever take your head out of a book?" You asked. Ford blinked a few times, as though he was trying to regain his bearings. "What else am I supposed to do?" He asked. You shrugged. You felt the plane begin to rise, higher and higher above the ground. You motioned to the window beside you. "Isn't the view fascinating? Even a little?" Ford followed your gaze. His brown eyes studied the world for a moment. "It's just the airport parking lot," He said after a few moments of silence. Your enthusiasm faltered. "I see."

Ford had an apprehensive look on his face, as though he was unsure of what else to say. He might have even had something more to say, but you were unable to decipher what it could possibly be. As of late, Ford seemed less and less like himself, and you couldn't even begin to guess why. Ford had a worrying tendency to shove his problems away. To bury them away from other people's prying eyes, even if your intention was to help. He focused on other's needs more than his own. You had gotten good at reading his signs, knowing when to prod and what he responded to best, but this was a code you just couldn't crack.

"Are you nervous?" Ford's voice broke the silence, surprising you both. You turned to meet his eyes. "To meet your parents? No, not really. Your mom sounds really nice. I'm looking forward to meeting her. As for your father, well, either he likes me or he doesn't."

Ford nodded and took your hand. You accepted the gesture and leaned your head on his shoulder. "How long is the flight going to be?" You asked. Ford hummed for a moment. "An hour? Two?"

You buried your head into his sleeve. He chuckled, but it sounded like it was miles and miles away. Before you could comprehend what had happened, you found yourself drifting off against him.

Ford's POV

I didn't inch away when I felt the weight of her increasing on my shoulder. In fact, I welcomed it, though that didn't stop the heat from rushing to my cheeks. I wrapped his arm around you protectively. I smiled to myself, amused. And dad said I could never get a girlfriend.

Leaning back in my seat, I scanned the plane. It wasn't crowded, and a hushed murmur filled the atmosphere. People, ranging from men, women, young and old sat in their seats, each with different agendas and places to be. A woman with tears on her cheeks caught my eye. I cleared my throat, feeling compelled to ask something, but unsure of what words to use.

"Are you okay, ma'am?" I settled on. The woman perked up and looked at me, then laughed a little and wiped her eyes. Her laugh held no humor. "Yeah, I'm okay. Thank you, sir. I'm just... on my way to a funeral."

"I'm so sorry," I said, unsure of what else to put out there. There was no solace I could offer this stranger. She turned and stared down at the ground. "Thank you, that means a lot."

The conversation died, and my mind began to wander. Loss was a strange thing. I had only been a child when my grandparents passed away, too young to firmly grasp the concept of it. The fact that someone could be there one day, then gone the next, their soul moving on to whatever came afterward. Years had passed since then, a boy turned into a man, and I still couldn't firmly grasp the subject. But unlike the little boy, I had a better understanding of it, though the person I lost wasn't lost to death. I lost him on my own. I clenched my fist and glared down at the ground.