Chapter 12: Trouble

Previously:

It was Luke who pulled away this time. As he stared into her green eyes, he knew one thing for sure.

"I'm never letting you go," he whispered, shaking his head like he was reassuring himself. Alex felt as if time stood still, and she was grateful; she wanted to savor this moment forever.

~~~

They say all good things must come to and end, but as Alexandria stood with Luke, that saying never could've been more accurate. Alex just stood there in partial shock as the words left Luke's mouth, almost not believing them. But before she could respond, the shrill sound of the bell shattered the intense moment into a million tiny pieces.

Alex looked reluctantly up at Luke, but he just smirked down at her.

"We have to go to class," she said, somewhat hesitantly, but Luke shook his head in disagreement.

"No, we don't. We could skip and spend the entire day together," he encouraged, his expression devious and enchanting. Alex's eyes widened slightly at the possibility. She'd never skipped school before, but as she stared at Luke, the option was extremely tempting.

He continued with his persuasion.

Leaning closer to her, so close that Alex could smell his intoxicating cologne, Luke put his hands on either side of her head, leaning up against the side of the building.

"Because I'm not letting you out of my sight," he whispered, his lips just barely brushing over hers. Alex felt her breath catch. Luke knew exactly what he was doing to her, and he was using it to his advantage.

"I'm not asking, I'm telling. Now come on, I have this place I want to show you," Luke finalized Alex's decision for her, his tone leaving no room for any objection she might've had as he gently took ahold of her hand and pulled her towards his car. They had only made it halfway to the car, when they heard a loud and angry voice shout from behind them.

"Where do you two think you're going?" The male voice called out, causing Alex to whirl around in panic, only to see an angry looking janitor staring back. Luke, however, was as calm and laid back as ever. He lazily turned around, a convincingly fake confused look clouding his features.

"The school nurse told me to take Ella home, since she's running a fever and her parents can't get off work until really late," he lied through his teeth so effortlessly that Alex herself almost believed him. Feigning a look of illness, she slouched with a pitiful expression on her face.

"And what's your name?" The man asked suspiciously, crossing his arms over his chest.

"Drake Milsaps," Luke said immediately, not hesitating for a second. The man's face darkened.

"Liar. I know who you are, Mr. Luke Hemmings. You're both coming with me to the principal's office, now," he growled, pointing to the school building. Alex's cheeks burned as she solemnly walked ahead with Luke not far behind. It took him only a second to catch up.

"Sorry about that, it usually works if you give them fake names," Luke said apologetically, giving her his signature smirk. Alex tried in vain to hold in a smile of her own, which didn't last for very long. They walked in the school side-by-side, both smiling with an extremely pissed janitor behind them. Alex just about laughed aloud at their situation, giddy with the sensation of breaking the rules.

All her life she had been perfect, always doing what she was told when she was told to do it.

Maybe it was time for a change.

"Right this way," the janitor said, gesturing with his arm to the principal's office. Alex had never once been inside, and she was slightly curious to see what it looked like. Turns out, it was nothing special, just a normal office with a huge mahogany desk sitting in the center. Pictures of what Alex guessed to be the principal's family hung in frames on the walls.