Chapter 11: Stolen Kisses

Previously:

She felt a small pang in her chest at the sight of him leaving, but she just shook her head. She had bigger things to worry about. What am I gonna tell Jackson? she thought miserably. She had been out for almost two hours, and she hadn't even taken her phone.

"He's going to kill me," Alex mumbled to herself as she got out her keys to unlock the front door. If luck was on her side then he would've already gone to bed, but as she opened the door and found a pissed off Jackson staring back at her, she knew it wasn't.

~~~

"Where the hell have you been Alexandria? It's been nearly two hours! I thought you told me you were going to go to the store!" Jackson yelled as soon as Alex stepped through the front door. She cringed immediately, and turned to close the door, when she heard Jackson let out a low growl.

"And whose jacket are you wearing?" His voice was dangerously low, and Alex froze.

Shit.

She had forgotten to give Luke his jacket back.

"My f-friend had a small emergency, and so I w-went over to her house. I-I got cold and so her older brother leant me his jacket. I must've f-forgotten to give it back," It was a weak lie, and Jackson saw right through it.

"Which friend?" he asked suspiciously, folding his arms over his chest and raising his eyebrows. Alex gulped.

"Tara. She's new at our school, so I wouldn't expect you to know her," she said carefully, slowly pronouncing each syllable as if trying them out for the first time. Jackson looked as if he was deciding whether or not he should believe her, and Alex was grateful. It meant that she still had a small chance of getting away.

Still, she tried to broaden her chances by changing the subject.

"Hey, I gotta go to the bathroom." Alex put extra emphasis on the word bathroom, hoping that he would get her hint. She saw his cheeks flush.

"Of course, of course. Just get to bed. It's late," Jackson hurried her up the stairs, and Alex didn't protest. Happy to have avoided a gigantic collision course, she gently padded up the stairs and went to go get ready for bed. Falling back onto her soft bed, dressed in a camisole and flannel pajama pants, she finally had a chance to reflect on what the hell just happened.

Alex felt a small smile tugging at the corners of her lips, and she turned over, burying her face into her pillow. All of her thoughts revolved around one prominent thought:

What had she gotten herself into?

~~~

When Alexandria woke up, she had an awful feeling that last night had just been a dream. But then she saw Luke's jacket thrown across her desk chair, and she knew it had really happened. Letting out a small sigh of relief, Alex jumped out of bed and went to go take a shower. She was surprised to find how alert she was, considering it was almost midnight when she got home last night.

Figuring it had something to do with seeing Luke at school, she began washing her hair with her vanilla smelling shampoo. As Alex continued her morning routine, she threw on a pair of light skinny jeans, a dark grey t-shirt, a cream colored sweater, and a long, golden necklace after blow drying her hair.

Putting on light make-up, she hurried out the door with her backpack lazily slung over her shoulder and her phone in her hand. Alex didn't have time to eat breakfast, even though she knew that she would regret it later. But all thoughts of food basically flew out the window as soon as she saw Luke sitting in her driveway in his black mustang, with the convertible top pulled down.