⋆ ˚。⋆ ✧───sixteen.

⋆ ˚。⋆ ✧──────────────✧⋆。˚ ⋆

❨ chapter sixteen.
lynette's news

⋆ ✧ ⋆

    JULIETTE'S MIND WAS oddly blank, devoid of all emotion except surprise at the sight of her sister — her sister? Here, in Muggle London?

    "Hi," she said in a flat voice as she neared Lynette.

    The corners of Lynette's mouth tipped upwards, the ghost of a smile flickering across her face before fading away. Without another word, Lynette turned on her heel and walked out of Penny's flat, and, after the briefest moment of hesitation, Juliette followed her sister into the hallway outside.

    "Lynette, what-" began Juliette, but catching the look Lynette threw over her shoulder, Juliette fell into silence.

    It was only after they were safely ensconced inside Juliette's small living room did Lynette speak.

    "Hello, you."

    It had been months since she'd last heard that throaty voice, and only now was Juliette realizing just how much she'd missed her sister.

    "Lynette," breathed Juliette as she nearly ran across the room. Lynette let out a soft laugh as Juliette pulled her into a rib-crushing hug. "I had no idea you were... oh, I've missed you!"

    "I've missed you too," Lynette murmured into her hair, returning the hug enthusiastically.

    "What - how come you're here?" asked Juliette, letting go of Lynette and taking a few steps back to peer at her sister. "You never said you'd be coming to see me."

    "Yes, well, I didn't know I would be myself. Not until after supper tonight, anyway," answered Lynette, grinning, though Juliette thought it seemed a little forced. "How are you?"

    Juliette, her heart a smidgen heavier than it had been mere seconds ago, plastered on a smile as she replied, "Fine – surprised, but fine, really. How have you been? I'm so glad you're here."

    "It's really good to see you too, Julie."

    They stood watching one another, beaming, and yet Juliette had the nagging feeling that Lynette wasn't just here to say hello. She pushed the thought aside.

    "Sit down, why don't you," Juliette gestured to the teal sofas she and Lynette had picked together what seemed like ages ago.

    "Busy night tonight?" remarked Lynette airily as she curled up on the two-seater. "The party seemed fun."

    Juliette laughed, sinking into the seat beside her sister, then frowned. "It was alright, really. How did you get in there without anyone noticing?"