⋆ ˚。⋆ ✧───eighteen.

⋆ ˚。⋆ ✧──────────────✧⋆。˚ ⋆

❨ chapter eighteen.
the order of the phoenix

⋆ ✧ ⋆

    THE PAVEMENT WAS still glistening from the night's downpour when Juliette started making her way to Manchester

    In response to her brief note, Professor Dumbledore had sent her a remarkably quick but lengthy reply — delivered by a phoenix, no less, much to Juliette's bemusement — welcoming her to the Order and detailing the whereabouts of the next meeting. And so, barely a week after Lynette's abrupt appearance brought the world crashing down upon her, Juliette found herself up at the crack of dawn, bracing the cold morning air.

    She barely noticed where her feet were leading her, and soon enough, Juliette was huddled into a corner of a compartment, swaying as the Tube sped her towards her destination, the knot in her chest tightening as she drew ever closer to the unknown.

⋆ ✧ ⋆

    "Is this seat taken?"

    Juliette tore her gaze away from the group of witches she had been watching. A man with brown, straggly hair stood above her. He wore a crisp, blue leather cloak around his shoulders, candlelight glinting off the silver buttons that ran along one side of it. He had an air about him that suggested he alone was in on some gigantic joke.

    If she stood up, Juliette thought they would be within an inch of one another.

    She shook her head, gesturing to the seat beside her. The man tipped his head towards her, then proceeded to drop into the empty chair with a loud sigh.

    "Cyrus," he announced, holding out one hand, the other reaching up to muse his hair. "Cyrus Orpington."

    She took his hand but let go quickly. She didn't much favor close contact with strangers, if she could help it. "Juliette."

    The man, who probably could not have been much older than she was, continued looking at her expectantly, and although Juliette could guess what he might be waiting for, she chose to avoid answering his unspoken query.

    "Have you been in the Order long?" she asked him instead, looking at him pointedly.

    "Oh, no," he replied airily, "I joined three months ago. This is only my... fourth meeting. No, fifth! Fifth, yeah. You?"

    "First."

    "Ah, lots to look forward to then."

    "Really?" Juliette asked, feeling some of the apprehension that had plagued her for the past week returning.