34

Roses are redViolets are blue Money is temporary And life should be what one pursues

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Money is temporary
And life should be what one pursues

Dani took a deep breath as she packed up her things after math class. She waved a small goodbye to her teacher, who didn't bother to look up from her laptop, and with a sigh, she piled out of the class with the other students, placing her hood on her head. It was just a normal day. She reminded herself. This was just the end of her daily after-school routine...

But no, it wasn't and she knew it.

In about an hour, things would fly south and her Biology teacher would get a one-way ticket to Mexico.

With regret, Dani slowly made it to her locker and unlocked the rusty door. She glanced up at the clock down the hallway as she stood there making note of the people walking by. The anxiety-filled girl wasn't going to rush to his room now... she still had time to think things through.

Mr. Wood seemed happy to help her, a little too happy to help; but that wasn't fully out of the ordinary. Even with his busted face, he smiled at her and called her his favourite student. That gave her the creeps, which meant he wasn't acting odd, but she kept his eagerness in mind.

Her bag dropped to the ground as a large group of teens pushed by. They were talking about a depressing thing Hailey posted a few hours ago, which didn't phase Dani. She still didn't buy herself a new phone because it was the least of her worries.

She dusted off the dirt from her white sweater after the collision and slumped her shoulders. It surprised her that no teacher forced her to take it off, and it also surprised her it stayed white for so long. Usually, with any dress-down day in school, her clothes would always get dirty by some mistake, but it being clean today was a good sign. It was a sign that shouted things won't go horribly wrong.

Dani leaned back on the locker door, trying to do everything she could to pat down her hair just to pass the time. Once things finally turned quiet and the clock hand moved, she shut the door and sucked up her bad thoughts.

It was time to go.

As she walked, the sound of her panting breath haunted her. This rhythmic breathing always occurred when things were about to go wrong.

It happened with Chris and Mrs. Herbert, even with Ashly and now Mr. Wood. It was like she shouldn't be breathing at all? If anyone were in the hall, they would have thought she had asthma or was having a panic attack. Maybe her sweater being clean was a bad sign since with every kill Atlas made it would ruin a clean outfit.

She should have spilled her jelly from her badly made sandwich at lunch... maybe then things would go right.

"Ok, Dani." She spoke to herself as her voice echoed down the hall. "Just go in there and talk about college for an hour, then wait on Atlas to burst in and do his thing?" She cringed as she stopped her feet. The plan was simple; A little too simple for her liking. There wasn't any backup movement or person to step in, in case things went wrong— there never was. All Atlas said was that things would be fine, but this was the 3rd time he said that.