Chapter 27

Author's note: This chapter has mentions of violence, abuse, and death. Reader discretion is advised.

*Edit*  Just to clear things up, the mention of death isn't in reference to new character death rather, is in reference to Odalia's death from last chapter.

——

"Who is responsible for this?" Emperor Belos spoke flatly as he stood over the unconscious body of Alador Blight.

"We're not entirely sure, your excellency. The report to collect the Blights was made from a blocked number," Kikimora calmly explained as several healers urgently began to work.

"I see," the Emperor huffed. "Very well. See to it he is made awake as soon as possible. We need to sort this out before word gets out of Odalia's death. We can't afford to let whoever is responsible escape punishment, much less have the people of the Isles find us incompetent for not already having them in our custody."

"Yes, sir," Kikimora nodded, before turning to the healers. "Should we not be able to wake him, we will see to it that his memories are inspected though, I suspect he is in capable hands; should he not be, however... well, lets just say I would not want to be the one responsible for failing to heal him."

"Indeed," the Emperor nodded before turning to exit to his chambers, Kikimora following close behind.

"Sir, before we part ways, there is one thing you should know," the small witch spoke, breaking a brief silence between the two that had evolved during their walk through the castle's halls.

"And what pray tell might that be?"

"Shortly before the Blights were retrieved, one of the guards came to me with a report of abuse they had received from the owners of a small, unnamed clinic just outside of Boneborough."

"And why might you think this is any concern of mine? Such matters are dealt with by the Ministry of Child and Family Services, you know that."

"Because, Sir, according to the report, they admitted two of the Blight children with sever injuries; apparently one of them is in critical condition. The clinic owners believe the children's injuries to be the fault of Odalia and Alador's," the small demon frowned.

"I see," the Emperor sighed as he momentarily stopped in his tracks. "See to it that the matter is brought up during Alador's questioning."

"But, Sir, wouldn't it be better to just examine his memories? Though without an investigation the clinic's claims are hearsay, however, beings as you're the Emperor, you could waive the probable cause statute and move a memory examination forward. It seems like it would be better to disprove or corroborate the claim before Alador awakes given that..."

"No," Emperor Belos interjected as he turned once more to walk down the hall. "My orders were clear. Press the issue during questioning and stay away from his memories," Belos said flatly, not willing to damage the trust and political alliance he had formed with Alador Blight - a man the people of the Boiling Isles looked to for reassurance when pressed with change, however unsavory, under Belos's rule. "This situation, however unfortunate, will work itself out how it needs to. Do I make myself clear?"

"Very well then, Sir," Kikimora solemnly nodded before turning to make her depart, hopes for the well-being of the Blight children at a low.

——

"Help, please! I need help," Eda gasped as she hurriedly kicked open the clinic doors, the bloody body of her unconscious sister strewn over her shoulder. 

"Ms. Clawthorne," Nurse Minor, minor gasped as they left the side of several other nurses tasked with wheeling Amity out of surgery and into recover. "Titan..." the shocked nurse muttered to their self at the sight of the blood soaked witches standing at the clinic's entrance before running full speed towards them. "SOMEBODY BRING A STRETCHER NOW AND GET AN OPERATING ROOM PREPED, STAT!"