Chapter 1: Happy Birthday to Me

My eyes open to the blinding sunlight streaming through my window. I squint, sitting up and clutching the blanket tighter around me. It always seems to be freezing in this house.

I smile when I realize what day it is. My fifteenth birthday. I stare at my pure white ceiling and wonder what's in store for me today. I can't wait for the surprise party. Although, I know about it, so it's not much of a surprise. I just know that it'll be great.

My phone alarm suddenly goes off, startling me out of my thoughts. How lucky. I wake up seconds before my alarm is supposed to force me out of unconsciousness.

I dismiss the alarm and unwillingly push away from my warm bed. I glance at myself in my full length mirror. My straight, light brown hair is still in the braids that I put it in last night. I do this to make it wavy when I wake up and take them out hours later. I notice that my face looks horrid. I look like a boy without makeup on and I have bags under my eyes as a result of staying up until one AM watching YouTube. I really need to get a life.

I decide to specially do my makeup since my hair is already gonna look nice. I walk to my bathroom and get out my makeup bag. First, I put a bit of lotion on my face to make it less dry. Then I put on a bit of powder and blush to add some color to my pale face. I do little wings on my eyes with my liquid eyeliner, and then finally finish off with a bit of mascara. I think it makes my green eyes pop.

Once I'm satisfied with how my face looks, I rummage through my closet in a search for something warm to wear. The weather today is supposed to be 20 degrees and cloudy, so I'd better bundle up.

After a while of tossing the rejected tops and pants around my room, I finally settle on a plain, oversized, gray sweatshirt and some black leggings, along with my normal navy blue jacket and my black combat boots. I pick out some gold earrings, put on a small ring, and head downstairs with my phone in my jacket pocket.

As I hop down the steps, I take out the two braids that my hair was in. By the time I reach the kitchen, they are both out and my hair is successfully wavy.

My older brother, Chris, is sitting at our old, wooden kitchen table, eating some Honey Combs cereal. I spot my father over by the cabinets. He's getting out a bowl and spoon for himself. My mother always leaves for work a full hour before anyone even gets up, so obviously she isn't here right now. I walk over to my chair at the table and put down my phone. Chris looks up at me with his icy blue eyes and smiles.

Chris is my only sibling. No sisters for me. Not that I'm complaining or anything. He's only older than me by two years, so we get along great. He's always happy and optimistic. I think the only time I've ever seen him cry was when he broke his leg when he was nine. He fell off of his bike while we were having a race around the block. That was not a happy day.

I'm not gonna lie, he is also pretty attractive. He's got the junior girls practically drooling over him. Honestly, I don't know why he's still single. His stunning blue eyes and dark brown hair make him apparently irresistible. His rugged charm can't hurt either. I've always thought of him as my best friend rather than my brother.

"Happy birthday Meg." He tells me happily. I grin at his ability to brighten my day with just a simple sentence.

"Thank you." I reply, walking over to the cabinet and grabbing a porcelain bowl and spoon for myself. Instead of eating some Honey Combs, I choose to pour some Lucky Charms into my bowl. Hey, it's my birthday. I can eat junk food if I want to.

Sitting down at the table, I take out my phone and see that I have a text from Ellie.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY GURL :)