6 - Make It Clear

"You did great today, Maise! Congratulations!" The male lead of the movie she was starring in smiled at her as they left the press conference in a hotel conference room.

"Thanks, Clay. " Maisey smiled back. "You were excellent as always. Congratulations."

Clay grinned. "Thank you. I've been doing this since I was a kid. It never gets old."

"Yup. Over 20 years, right?" She grinned mischievously.

"Ssshhh!" He glared at her and pulled her into a side hug as he placed his hand over her mouth to cover it. "We already know how much older I am than you, my leading lady. You don't have to keep rubbing it in."

Maisey giggled as she struggled to break free from him. "Okay. I won't tease you anymore. Our age difference doesn't matter anyway. You look so young and handsome, 10 years doesn't matter so  don't be angry anymore, Uncle. Okay?" She laughed and quickly ran away.

"You! Who are you calling uncle?!" He yelled and ran after her. "Maisey March, get back here this instant!"

Realizing that he sounded exactly like an uncle reprimanding his naughty niece, Clay stopped running and laughed at himself. He couldn't stay pissed off at Maisey for making fun of him especially when her quip was accurate so he just calmly followed her to the private room of the hotel's restaurant where they will join the producers, directors, writers and staff of their movie for lunch. 

When he got there, Maisey was already seated beside their director and happily talking with the staff. Fun, unassuming, out-going and easy to get along with-- these words would always be on the top of the list of descriptions Maisey's co-workers would use to describe her. 

She wasn't as painfully shy, insecure and introverted as when she first joined the circle. Back then, she would need to rely on Ryder to face other people in the entertainment world. He helped her find her courage and confidence because he believed in her and became her constant support. Now, she could confidently mingle with people in the industry. 

Clay took his place beside Maisey and joined the conversation with everyone. They recalled their time shooting the film and discussed their future schedule in promoting their project. A little later, the food was served and the conversations focused on the appreciation of their meal. The lunch was enjoyable with some small talk that lasted for an hour. 

As they were walking out of the restaurant, Maisey who was walking beside Clay suddenly pulled the sleeve of his jacket which made him turn to her. He smiled at her and asked, "Yes, Maise?"

"Clay… Uhm… Can I ask you about something?" The shy and hesitant look on Maisey's face reminded Clay of the time they first met in the premiere of his previous movie. 

"Sure." He beamed. "Let me guess…" He leaned closer to whisper, "It's about matters of the heart, right?" Maisey didn't reply to the question but her widened eyes and the blush on her cheeks confirmed his guess which made Clay chuckle. "What ails our dear phenomenal star's heart?"

"That… Well… It's not exactly a problem, just a question. I mean since you're a guy too and you're more matured and experienced, I thought I could ask you." She said.

"That's a subtle way of saying I'm an old guy again." He chuckled and shook his head. "But because you look like you really need some big brother advice, I'll let it slide. Ask away." He smiled.

"Okay. So… What does it mean when a guy suddenly becomes overbearing? Like you know… Suddenly making important decisions that disrupts your everyday lives and not giving you much of a choice." Maisey, who was still confused about Ryder's sudden decision to move into her place that morning, asked. She wasn't given a chance to think about it either especially when she got out of the shower, his luggage was already in the bedroom and while eating the breakfast that he prepared, Ryder firmly declared that he was going to drive her to work and pick her up after the press conference without even asking about her schedule for the day.