9 : NINE

CHAPTER NINE

-

-

THOMAS HAD MANAGED TO GET up the watch tower with no fuss.
"What's going on up there?" Gally called.
"Is she coming down?" Noah added.
"Uh, just-just give us a minute." Thomas yelled. Gally still looked taken aback.
"Alright, come on." Newt dispersed the group.
"This what all girls are like?" Fry asked. Noah smacked him in the back of the head.
"Oh yeah, forgot you was a girl." The boy laughed. Noah scoffed and hit his arm before he could get away.

-

Thomas came to the med-jack room with the girl. She introduced herself as Teresa.
"We don't even know what this stuff is." Newt said as he held two capsules the girl came up with. "We don't know who sent it, why it came up here with you. I mean, for all we know, this thing could kill him."
"He's already dying." Thomas sighed. "Look at him. How could this possibly make it any worse?"
Alby was looking rough. More of his veins were different colors, some were poking through his skin and he was continuously coughing and gasping.
"Come on, it's worth a try." Thomas pleaded.
"Newt," Noah whispered. She placed a hand on his shoulder.
"Alright," Newt sighed. "Do it." He handed the capsule back to Thomas.
Thomas took it and swiftly walked to Alby's side. He held it at the ready and looked back.
"Okay," He whispered. Alby then grabbed the boys shirt.
"You shouldn't be here! You shouldn't be here!" Alby yelled.
"Watch out!" Newt yelled. All the people in the room started to hold the man down. Noah had grabbed the capsule. She rushed to the side Thomas was on and stabbed it into his skin.
Alby immediately let go and calmed his breathing. Everyone stood straight, panting.

"Well, that worked

"Well, that worked." Jeff said.
Newt rested his hand on Noah's hip. "You alright?" He asked her. The girl looked at him and nodded.
"Okay, from now on, someone stays here and watches him around the clock," Newt ordered.
Gally came around the corner. "Hey."
Everyone looked at him expectantly. "Sundown, Greenies. Let's go." He then walked off. Thomas and Noah followed shortly behind.

-

"Hey, what is your problem with me?" Thomas asked the silent blond boy.
"Everything started going wrong the minute you showed up." Gally explained.
"Actually," Noah cut in. "When I came up."
"First Ben, now Alby." Gally continued, ignoring the girl again. "And now the girl. Everybody saw she recognized you. And I'm betting you know who she is." Gally then opened the door.
Thomas sighed and walked in first. Then Noah. Gally closed the gate and locked it.
"Gally," Noah called as she grabbed the bars. "Why do you hate me?"
"I don't." He replied. "The opposite." He then walked off. Noah scoffed.

-

"Who's there?" Thomas called. Noah was 'asleep' in a ball in the corner.
"It's just me." Chuck said.
"Sorry, Chuck." Thomas sighed.
"Here," the boy handed Thomas some water and food. "You'll run better on a full stomach."
Thomas chuckled and Chuck sat down.
"Is she up?" Chuck asked motioning to Noah.
"No, she needs her rest." Thomas said. However, Noah was up and was listening. She was a light sleeper, but she didn't want to ruin their conversation.
Thomas started eating. "Thanks, Chuck."
Chuck smiled and looked at his carved sculpture.
"Hey, what've you got there?" Thomas asked as he stood. Chuck showed Thomas the wood sculpture.
"Oh wow, that came out pretty damn good." Thomas chucked. "What's that for?"
"It's for my parents." Chuck explained.
"You remember you parents?" Thomas asked. This sounded just like the conversation Noah had with the young boy.
"No," Chuck said softly. "Well, I mean, I know I must have them. And where ever they are I'm sure they miss me, but I can't miss them because I don't remember them." Chuck looked behind himself. "What do you think you'll find out there tomorrow?"
"I-I don't know." Thomas answered truthfully. "But, hey, if there's a way out, Chuck, Me, Minho, and Noah, we're gonna find it."
Chucked sighed. "Here." He handed Thomas the sculpture.
Thomas took it and chuckled. "Chuck, why would you give this to me?"
"I can't remember them anyway," Chuck admitted. "But maybe if you find a way out you can give it to them for me." There was a pause. "I'll let you get some sleep."
The young boy then began to walk off.
"Hey, Chuck?" Thomas called. "Come here." The boy turned and walked back.
"Put out you hand." Thomas ordered. When Chuck did, he placed the sculpture back in the makers hand.
"I want you to give that to them yourself." Thomas told him. "We're gonna get out of here. All of us. Okay? I promise."
Chuck smiled and nodded. "Night."
"Night, buddy." Thomas called.
"That was sweet." Noah said sitting up. Thomas whipped around in shock. "You know, I told him the same thing."
"We will get out of here." Thomas told her. "Get some sleep."

-

The next morning came and the two trapped teens sat in silence.
"Big day, Greenie." Minho said. "You sure you don't want to sit this one out?" He asked Noah.
"Come on, man." Thomas scoffed.
"Get us outta here." Noah chuckled as she stood.
"Alright." Minho said opening the gate.

The three walked to the still closed gate. Thomas and Noah had a leather vest on that held little bags. Noah's had water, Thomas' had food, and Minho's had the charge. While they were waiting, Newt ran forward.
"Hey Noah," He called. The girl turned and smiled. "Can I talk to you?" He motioned away from the boys. She nodded and walked a few feet away for the other two.
"I really don't want you going out there." He confessed. "But I know you want to, which is why I made you a runner." Noah nodded slowly. "I just wanted to remind you to be safe." Noah smiled at Newt.
"I'll be fine, Newt." Noah told him. Newt took a step closer.
"Really, you better come back." He said. Noah smirk.
"What? Are you scared?" She teased. Newt then wrapped an arm around her waist and pulled her closer to him. The two teens locked lips for only a moment.
"Yes, I'm scared." Newt said with a chuckle. Noah was shocked he had kissed her out in the open. But, she did the only rational thing and pulled him back. She kissed his again then jogged away.
"Well, well," Minho chuckled.
"Shut up." Noah tried to hide her smile.
"Sure you wanna go? It's dangerous." Minho said as the doors opened. With one glance behind her, Noah was the first one in the maze.

Running the maze was a lot easier that Minho was there. He knew exactly were to go.
"This way! Not much further to the inner ring!" He called to them.
They ran through the vine covered walls till they got to a more open area. A big number five was painted in red on the wall. Then a big letter six. Then, the three reached seven.
They slowed their pace to a speed walking and looked around.
"That's strange." Minho gasped.
"What?" Thomas and Noah said together.
"Sevens not supposed to be open for another week." Minho explained. The three teens continued walking through the open section.

..