Chapter 13: Smooth.

It was nighttime. You were incredibly sleepy. And bored. As much as Ryuzaki entertained you, it only lasted so long for the day, and now you were bored. You could always rehearse? Whatever. Anything to get out of your own head. You roll out of bed, and sit on the edge.

L was crouched at his monitors, bored too. Boredom was his least favorite emotion. If only his desire to keep you as safe as possible didn't hindre his work. He could move on to another case in a matter of seconds if only he just could stop harping on the results of this one. But his boredom was interrupted by quiet, smooth music. L was a curious soul. Just as any other case, he was determined to find out where it was coming from while perched at his post. But like a few of his other cases, he had to get up and go to the source.

It was from behind the closed door to your room. L really liked the music, surprisingly. But it only took a few seconds to figure out it was you who was making it. He was in awe, not just of the skill, but you somehow moved him. Not even ten seconds later he had his ear pressed against the door. To him, you sounded like you were ripped straight off of the radio or TV. It's shocking to hear that he knows someone who actually sounds like that. Those kinds of voices are the ones that almost seem unreal. But here it was in his hotel suite. That's when Victor needed a glass of water, and emerged from his room.

"Hey, what are you-"

"Sh." L quickly stopped him from interrupting, or more importantly blowing his cover.

"Told you I'd riot if she didn't try out for the-"

"Victor, please you're going to get me caught." L placed his index finger over his lips, before leaning against the door again. He continued to listen to you. It was comforting in a way. Whatever training you were getting, it was fucking working.

Ironically, just a few minutes after Victor, you needed a glass of water too. It's like you were in sync with him. But as you opened the door, L was still leaning on it. He came tumbling into your room, and landed on the floor with a thud. He stared up at you, wide-eyed.

"Smooth." You remark, immediately catching on that he could hear you. "Ah, crap I was being too loud wasn't I?"

"Uh..."

"I'm sorry! Gah- this is so embarrassing..."

"No, it's fine! I uh- I liked it!" L stumbled with his words as he stumbled to his feet. You had heard it a million times.

"I-it's okay I was being too loud."

"No, you weren't too loud. I wasn't doing anything anyway."

"Oh, okay. At least I didn't bother you, I guess." You pass by him to get some water, as he follows.

"You sound nice..." He says.

"Thanks." You reply.

"I mean, I always liked listening to you talk but, this is, uh- different I guess."

"Yeah, it's like speaking in cursive!" You joked. L smiled a little, which made your heart flutter a little in response. Things felt awkward between you and L since you realized you liked him. You went from almost completely trusting him to being trapped in a cycle of uncertainty.

"So what are you working on?" You change the subject as you pour some water into a tall glass.

"Well... nothing right now." He said.

"Nothing good yet?"

"Not exactly. It would be of best interest for me to wait until you and Victor can go back to school so that I'm not distracted and so that I don't put you in further danger."

"Ah, gotcha."

"What's that song you're working on?"

"Oh, it's for my 'Acting Through Song' class. I'm working on some technique stuff right now, and also trying to engage my physicality."

"I see. It's lovely..." He trailed off a bit, looking away from you.

"You said you liked it three times!" You chuckled. "I never thought anyone could get you this interested in anything other than sweets and cases."

"Guess I must've been bored." He joked back. That's when you get an idea. It may be a bit on the nose, but it just might work.

"You're bored?" You ask.

"Eh, what're you gonna do?"

"Well... I'm bored too."

"Huh. We're emotional twins."

"There's this park a couple blocks down, and I haven't shown you any places in the area yet, so... would you want to go? And like... hang out?" You fidget with your fingers. Why were you so nervous? Even if he didn't want to, it's not going to hurt your friendship. God, everything was like walking on eggshells. It was like highschool all over again.

L on the other hand seemed to like the idea. He paused and thought about it for a little while, it didn't seem like anything could go wrong. To be honest, he needed to experience something like this, and with someone who wouldn't judge him. But there is about a 20% chance...

"(y/n), are you proposing that we go on a date?" He ripped the bandaid off.

"Uh, if that's what you want?" You mumble.

"Is that what you want?"

"Um... I dunno... only if it's what you want."

"I would, but I'm asking that's what you want."

"It would be nice..." The tiny bit of reassurance was the spark you needed.

"Well then, sounds like it's been decided." He said, suppressing an awkward smile.

"I guess so!" You say, taking your drink off the table, only for it to slip through your fingers and crash on the ground below.

"Smooth." L says.