The Falling - S1 E2

INT. JAMES' HOUSE — AFTERNOON

James steps into his lavish mansion. Matthew occupies the living room while Samual and Derek lounge on the couch by the corner chair. Their attention locks on James as he slams his bag down, entering with averted eyes.

MATTHEW: James. Everett. Knight!

Matthew greets James with a scowl and pats his foot on the floor.

JAMES: What?

MATTHEW (furious): You know damn-well what, James. You always get into more trouble than I can clean up.

JAMES: Dad, you don't know what happened.

James leans against the railing of the staircase, huffing.

MATTHEW (Scolding): James!

Samual and Derek part on the couch, and James sits snug between them.

JAMES (Mocking): Dad!

James bites his tongue for his own sake, keeping his anger inside. James and his dad lock eyes. They shoot glares at each other.

DEREK: I think he's right, James.

James glares at his brother.

JAMES (Angered mumbling): Of course, Dad's right.

James clutches his phone in his superhuman grip.

JAMES: He's always right.

James clenches his phone until it shatters, eliciting widened eyes from Samual and Derek. They swiftly grab the phone from his hand before his father spots it. Reluctantly, James lets go, and Derek conceals the phone on the couch as Samual distracts Matthew.

SAMUAL: When does your shift start?

MATTHEW: It started ten minutes ago.

James' father's eyes drift. Matthew adjusts his utility belt while Derek reluctantly watches James yanking on his gun holster.

DEREK (Whispering): You owe me.

James flips his hood above his shoulders, but Derek quickly pulls it back down before his dad can see him.

MATTHEW: I don't want to see you fight anymore, especially Mark Reignson.

Matthew adjusts his badge on his shoulder. With large, bloodshot eyes, James's father quickly steps to the door and leaves.

JAMES (Grunting): I don't owe you anything, Derek. I do a lot already.

James digs through the couch, feeling for his cell phone. Instead, Derek and Sam glare at James.

JAMES: What do you guys want from me?

SAMUAL: Maybe I should train you better to learn how to control this. Can I test you in the laboratory, James?

Derek's pout brightens. James yanks his phone from the couch cushions, watching Derek stand.

DEREK: I've got to go to work. Stay calm before you break something other than your phone.

Derek pats James' back comfortably and walks off towards the door.

SAMUAL: Then, there were two. What happens when your father, brother, or I can't save you, and you get into trouble with the sheriff? What happens if you lose control of your strength and your father notices? Or worse, if you accidentally hurt or kill someone?

JAMES (shouting): Samual!

James sucks in a sharp breath.

JAMES: What about Dad? If he finds out—