Carousel Chaos - S1 E5

INT. KITCHEN - NOON

Derek and James sit at the kitchen island eating leftover brookies while sucking down a glass of milk. James floats a can of the sprite to his lips.

Derek: That's quite bold.

James: What?

Derek sighs.

Derek: Dad is here.

James grabs the can from the air and sets it down on the counter. Matthew walks through the doorway, wet from the rain outside, holding the mail from outdoors, soaked wet, and Derek shoots James a "told you so" look.

Matthew: I'm going for a drive this evening, and I was hoping you could come with me, James.

Derek takes a sip of milk.

Derek: Reignson let you off today?

Derek pulls his milk to his lips again and takes a big gulp, leaving a milk mustache.

Matthew: Yep.

Matthew plucks Derek's Brookie from his fingertips and finishes it in one bite.

Matthew: Thanks, Derek.

Matthew leaves the room with a stuffed mouth. James stuffs his brookie in his mouth. Derek stares at the doorway where their father left the room and pouts.

Derek: Why does everyone steal my food?

James: Bad luck, I guess.

Derek glares at James, his eyes fixed on his soda can, and he rolls his eyes.

Derek: You're lucky I don't drink Sprite.

Derek checks his cell phone and leaves the kitchen in a rush. James sighs, leaning against the broken countertop, loosening another chunk as dust and debris rain down his thigh.

James: Stupid super strength.

Derek (Yelling): You probably deserve that.

James pulls away from the counter. Matthew enters the kitchen.

Matthew: I don't want you hanging out with Derek when he's at work. As much as I want you to enter the academy after graduation, he isn't the most influential person in your life.

James: Dad!

Matthew opens the fridge and removes a beer.

Matthew: James, you're sixteen!

Matthew walks to the sink, leaning over it.

Matthew: If you enjoy going with Derek so much, maybe I might enroll you in ROTC.

James huffs.

James: Nope.

Matthew grunts, frustrated by James's defiance.

Matthew: I should have done that when you first entered high school.

James rolls his eyes.

Matthew: I'll tell you what? I'll think about it.

Matthew walks by James, clinks his drink against James's Sprite can and walks out.

INT. HOUSE - Night

The doorbell rings, and Derek pulls his head from the couch while his dad watches, scarfing down a brookie, springing fast from the seat, nearly falling over from exhaustion.

Derek: I'll get it.

INT. Hallway - House - Moments LATER

Derek bolts to the door. The doorbell RINGS twice again, and the front door opens. Noah stands in the doorway. James bolts down the steps. James stares at Noah.