00

• kenma's pov •

the way i think, everybody gets a miracle. everybody. every single one of us. i got one too. i may have never been able to fly, or seen unicorns farting rainbows in the skies, or told that i was the only person left to save the world from the invading forces of aliens.

my miracle was different. my miracle was this; out of all the places where i could have been on that night, i ended up being stuck in an elevator with kuroo tetsuro.

it all started out like this;

i stared at the brown wall clock that hung inside the off-white walls of the cafe. i sighed, letting my head rest on my arms that were resting on the counter.

"um?" i looked up to see a customer standing in front of the counter. i snapped back to reality as i rubbed my eyes and got my arms off the counter.

"hello, welcome to the 24-hour cafe, how may i help you?" i tried my best to not sound tired, because i totally was. tired as hell. socializing was never one of my specialty. and i could see that it wasn't going to be one in the future too. i hated talking to people.

"i'll have a caramel macchiato," she smiled. i nodded as i scribbled down on the small notepad and started making it right away.

"do you enjoy your job?" she asked. i paused for a bit before looking up at her and raising an eyebrow. "i'm supposed to be asking teenagers who work at cafés about their job experience as a university assignment. you have a really late night shift, don't you have college?"

i thought for a while.

i didn't hate my job. i mean, it paid me. and i have late night shift because i sleep after coming back from college, and waking up and completing the assignments leaves me no other time.

"it's fine," i mumbled.

"um, a little clearer?"

oh gosh not another annoying customer with bad hearing aid.

kenma kozume (age 18)
most hated phrase #2
"can you talk a little clearer?"
coming second to the most hated phrase #1
"a little louder, can't hear you."

"i don't care about my job. it's fine because it pays me, and i don't mind nightshifts," i said, a little clearer.

"oh, makes sense. and how about-" i cut her off by placing her drink on the counter in front of her. she took it and gave me a smile, before paying the bill and going out of the cafe.

i can't wait to go home.

* * *

"alright, i'll be taking it on from here," the worker who had the next shift said, tying an apron around his waist. "man, i'm so worked up!"

it was 12 a.m...

"good work," i mumbled as i grabbed my stuff and made my way out of the cafe.

the night was cold, so i nuzzled my face into my muffler and put on my gloves before walking off. late september was pretty intense this year.

tokyo's night sky always looked pretty. my apartment wasn't so far away from work, and the place where i lived was mostly occupied with either newly married couples or university students. i managed to get a flat there through some of dad's connections. mum came to visit every once in a while too, mostly on birthdays.

i sighed at the thought as i looked down.

it was almost 12:30 by the time i reached the apartment. i quickly got to the lift and pressed the button to the sixth floor, standing inside. as soon as the heavy metal doors were about to be closed, a foot came in between them, opening them again. my eyes widened a bit.