That Grew throught the Reeds

Wilbur felt his heart drop to the pit of his stomach. A huge lump grew in his throat gripping his pant leg.

"He's....hes what?"

Sally looked down her light red hair falling over her face.

"He wants me to marry off to some boy so he can get a good heir"

Wilbur didn't want to cry he didn't want he didnt wanna cry in front of Sally.

She was probably more scared and terrified than he was. He needed to be strong for her he needs to be there for her.

"Sally..."

Wilbur placed her hands on her cheeks she seemed to be acting so strong. For so long when Wilbur touched her with such carefulness she broke down.

Tears rolled down her eyes she sniffled trying to suck in a breath. Her body shaking as she leaned into his hands.

"I'm scared Wilbur" her breath shakey her tears dripped against his hands. Her eyelashes dripped with tears.

"I'm here I'm here Sally"

Sally rested her head on Wilburs chest her voice broke with sobs. Gripping his shirt she was curled in a small.

Wilbur wrapped his arms around her kissing her head. And holding her close soothing her.

"I'm here Sally I'm here..."

After a few minutes of Sally sniffled she looked up at Wilbur. Her mascara was rolled down her face. Her nose is runny.

"Oh God, I look so awful don't I?"

She reaches over grabbing a tissue off of her desk.

"No, you look beautiful as always Sally"

Wilbur used his sleeve and whipped her tears away.

"Even with your big runny nose"

Sally laughed sucking in a small breath a shaky breath.

"You know how to flatter a girl"

Wilbur chuckled and kissed her head pulling her close.

"That's what all the ladies to say"

Sally laughed leaning up and punching him on the arm.

"Oh shut up you big dummy"

Wilbur smiled loving seeing Sally so happy. Even if deep down he knew she was hurting he kissed the top of her head.

He wrapped his arms around her waist she sat down between his legs. her l her head on his chest. 

"When did your Dad come back?"

"I dunno like three days ago?"

Wilbur felt worse than he did before like a ton of bricks were added to his shoulders.
Tears were so close to washing over his eyes.

He took a deep breath and wondered what the best way to soothe her would be. Her body was still trembling in his arms he was like a scared puppy.