A Fate as Fast as the Hedgehog Could Run

Wind blew past Sonic as he charged ever forward. The feel of the crisp morning air on his fur and quills made him feel alive. The smell of the grass and dirt as he zipped past made him feel free. His heart was racing as fast as his feet, the adrenaline pumping as fast as his heart. His mind was clear for all except one thing.

Run.

The sky was clear without a cloud to be seen, and the air was still, apart from around Sonic. His grin grew as he shot across the checkered grass, his feet gliding across the blades slick with the early morning dew. He wasn't running fast enough. He lengthened his stride, straightened his posture, and pushed himself to the max. He was aware of the grass flying with each step he took, but he was too in the moment. He was too free.

He increased his speed as he approached the first loop, a staple landmark of the Green Hill Zone. He had always enjoyed the stomach-flipping thrill as he ran it, his trajectory keeping his soles firmly planted on the ground as he ran. He whooped as he zoomed from the first loop, keeping his pace. He decided on a different path, zipping down a lesser used trail of the Zone.

Sure enough, some of the remaining remnants of Eggman's attempted take on the Zone covered the path, endlessly walking back and forth of their covered area. Sonic made easy work of the Crabmeats and the Moto-Bugs, deciding not to backtrack to get the only Chopper he missed. He shuddered at the thrill of his razor sharp quills slicing through the metal like a hot knife through butter.

He was sure he'd gotten them all as soon as he rejoined the regular path, the one that led either further into the zone or back to the looming city across the way. He turned, guiding himself back to the city.

He slowed he pace as he approached the towering buildings of Station Square, his full-out sprint turning to a leisurely jog. He was panting from the effort he'd put in, his body burning with the thrill. The jog back to Tails's workshop wouldn't take too long. Sonic kept his pace quick, yet he allowed his eyes to wander.

The city was always so pretty, though not nearly as much as the wilderness of the Green Hill. He jogged by parks with little kids that squealed and cried joyful 'hello's at his presence (to which he waved back), and by big buildings full of people at work. He passed the school, just letting out for recess and by the apartment building with young adults bustling to and fro. It was never a dull moment in the city.

He passed by cop cars who's drivers saluted him, he passed by young children who honored and idolized him, he passed by big open areas, and he passed by the theme park as he jogged to the beach. He followed the little dirt path up to the top of a nearby cliff that overlooked the sea and rapped his knuckles lightly on the door of the little yellow house seated at the top.

"Tails!" He called, his voice dry from his run. "I'm back!" It wasn't a moment later when the door opened, his twin-tailed fox buddy on the other side.

"Welcome back, Sonic!" Tails chirped, letting him inside. "I went ahead and made you a chili dog, but there's more in the fridge if you're still hungry!"

Sonic smiled, patting him on the head. "Thanks pal."

The cobalt hedgehog gladly sat down at the table when he was sure the front door was shut and locked, munching on his lunch happily. He got a glass of water after he'd finished, chugging the whole thing down. He refilled his cup and wandered into Tails's workshop.

"So, whatcha workin' on today, Tails?" He asked as he walked over.

Tails picked up the object, presenting it to him. "A new and improved engine for the Tornado. The last one was pretty dinged up from our last fight with Eggman."

"That's a good thing to be working on, then." Sonic replied, sipping his water. He allowed his eyes to wander again when Tails had gone back to work, seeing two gold rings resting up on the shelf.