Mistakes

Dire news reached Sonic and Tails' ears by way of Amy. She'd come banging on their door one afternoon after Sonic had returned from his supposed run. He'd really gone and researched Hanahaki at the public library, especially since his shaky legs and aching chest couldn't handle the exertion of loop-de-loops.

"Eggman's got three Chaos Emeralds!" Amy shouted as soon as Sonic's twin-tailed buddy had opened the door. "He just stole one from Rouge downtown!"

"He what?" Tails shouted at the same time Sonic shot from his seat. His chest throbbed after that sudden action.

"Three?" He questioned. "How? That quickly?"

"Apparently! He was boasting about it as he flew away in the Eggmobile!" Amy explained, frantic. "You have to stop him, Sonic!"

"I'll do what I can." He agreed, furrowing his brow in a serious manner. "Which direction did he fly in?"

Amy thought back. "East." She said at last.

"Tails," Sonic said stoutly, "Fire up the Tornado."

They left Amy in charge of the one Chaos Emerald they had at the workshop, rushing out to Tails' hangar. "Don't mind the mess," he sheepishly told Sonic, "I've been tinkering."

Sonic passed Amy the Emerald, feeling the nasty constriction in his chest ease up as he held it. He took a deep breath in before handing it over and holding back a wince when his chest tightened again. "Whatever happens, do not let Eggman have this."

"You have my word, Sonic." She agreed, holding the glowing gem close to her chest, the light pulsating inside it like a heartbeat. "Be careful out there. Both of you."

"We will be." Sonic assured, shooting her a thumbs up as he hauled himself up and onto the wing of the plane. He braced himself, nodding to Tails when he was situated. The fox started the engine and fastened himself into the cockpit, driving the Tornado out to the runway and taking off.

Wind whipped Sonic's face and whirled his quills around behind him. He tightened his hold on the wing of the plane as the drag and pressure of their liftoff threatened to pull him off with it. They ascended into the sky for a few seconds, enough for each one to feel like hell. Tails steadied out, and Sonic let his hold relax slightly and his posture straighten.

"You alright up there Sonic?" Tails called over the roar of the wind and engine. Sonic looked back at his buddy, grinning and trying not to look too lightheaded. His interaction with Shadow had made his disease worse pretty significantly.

"Yeah!" He hollered back after gathering enough air to so do. "Let's go crack an egg!"

The entire flight towards Eggman's base wasn't too long, but for Sonic, it crawled by. His chest ached and throbbed, and he strained to look as though he was fine and getting plenty of oxygen as normal. The smoke in the air around Eggman's hideout further dilapidated him, and he bit back stinging coughs that could spell disaster for their mission.

Tails dipped the Tornado downward, gently curving around the factory island for clearance to land. Sonic tightened his hold and arched his posture again, reducing the drag and strain on his weakened, lithe body. His best fox friend eventually touched down, landing the biplane with little to no difficulty.

As their vehicle slowed and the altitude lowered down to sea level, Sonic found breathing slightly easier. He still felt as though he were suffocating in the island's foul, sulfuric smog. He noticed Tails looked as though he felt the same, though on a significantly lower scale.

Sonic hopped down when the plane stopped moving, trying to quash the shakiness in his powerful legs. He lit slip a few coughs, each luckily without flowers. "Ugh. This place stinks. Like, worse than usual." He joked.