The Search Begins

The clamor and chaos that erupted in the living room after Tails's announcement was enough to give Sonic's already aching head an even bigger migraine. Most of them were furious, namely Knuckles and Rouge, but Blaze and Amy expressed worry and concern. In the end, they were all clamoring over each other on ways to help Sonic survive his unfortunate encounter with the Hanahaki.

Their voices all clashed in Sonic's throbbing brain, and he was glad he had Silver there at his side to steady him, or he would have fallen unceremoniously down the rest of the stairs. All he'd wanted originally was a glass of sweet, sweet, ice-cold water. When he accidentally stepped on and creaked the one floorboard that still groaned when trodden upon, the whole room went dead silent and all eyes were locked on the hedgehog they had been discussing. Sonic's heart dropped when he saw the looks everyone had on their faces. "Uh," he started so eloquently, "hi?"

They all started talking at once, some of them shooting to their feet. Sonic flinched, unable to hear anything anyone was saying. He attempted to step back up the stairs, to retreat back to his room and not leave until the workshop was just him, Tails, and Silver again. His attempts were cut short by Shadow, the hedgehog rising from the armchair he was seated in previously. "Everyone shut up!" He barked raucously, quills bristling. "Didn't we tell you guys not to overwhelm him?"

Everyone took a seat after his outburst, looking between each other, and Sonic rose slightly from where he had been barely cowering. Shadow huffed a frustrated breath, plopping back in his seat.

"Why didn't you tell us?" Amy asked, her voice wavering with what could've been fear or worry, or possibly anguish. Sonic wasn't completely sure.

"I didn't want anyone to know originally," he mumbled, his voice stronger than it had been but still weak, "but I screwed up bad." He swallowed around his parched throat.

"I'll say." Knuckles remarked bitterly. His amethyst gaze was hard and disapproving. Sonic frowned, averting his gaze to the floorboards around Silver's boots.

Tails stood up from the beanbag he was sitting in. "We can all scold him after we save him." He pointed out. "He doesn't exactly have long, and we have four emeralds to get ahold of; three with Eggman and one still out there."

"That's the other reason we called you all here today." Shadow looked over at them all, not rising from his seat this time. "We need to get these emeralds. We believe they're the key to saving the dumbass's life."

"He said they eased his pain." Silver explained from beside Sonic. "Helped relieve the pressure and get him breathing better." The cobalt gave a nod to confirm Silver's words.

Tails nodded as well. "So we think their miracle is the only way to save him without him confessing, which he's adamant about not doing, or surgery." Sonic could feel the heat of everyone's stare on him again, and he looked away.

"Tails said he's found the last emerald," Shadow continued without missing a beat, "and we obviously know where the other three are. I'll be leading a recon mission to get those three." He paused briefly. "And I'll do it solo if I have to."

"Not solo." Knuckles grumbled. "I'll come."

Rouge nodded, shifting her position where she sat on the royal blue couch. "Me too. Can't have Big Red here messing up your mission now, can we, Shadow?" Knuckles about recoiled, his face reddening in rage as he fumed.

"I'll go with Tails to get the last emerald, then." Amy cut in before Knuckles could explode. "That way he doesn't have to go alone." Tails shot her a thankful expression, petting one of his fluffy tails.

"I'll stay with Sonic and Silver, then." Blaze added. "That way, if Eggman attacks, they won't just be sitting ducks." She gave Silver a loving smile which he returned with gratitude. Sonic's heart fluttered. He wanted Shadow to look at him that way so badly. That's why you're in this predicament, Sonic, he thought to himself, sucking his lower lip between his teeth and biting on it gently.

"Then we have it settled. I'll go with Rouge and Knuckles, Tails will go with Amy, and Blaze will stay and protect Sonic and Silver." Shadow stood again from his seat, adjusting the inhibitor ring on his left bracer. "We leave immediately."

Everyone else stood and shared idle chatter as they split into their groups, Tails leading Amy to his hangar and Shadow producing his Chaos Emerald to teleport his group to Eggman's lair. They were gone with a flash, and Sonic could hear the rumble of the biplane's engine as it started. The noise faded from his ears as the Tornado took off, flying away to Chaos knows where. Sonic stepped back down the steps all the way and sighed, releasing his bite on his lip.

"Is there anything you need, Sonic?" Blaze asked sweetly, approaching him and her boyfriend.

"Yeah, as a matter of fact, there is." He cracked a weak grin. "The glass of ice cold water that I've been trying to go get since I came down these stairs originally."

Hey all! I finished editing this chapter a few days ago, and decided to wait the full week before posting it! The rest of the chapters will probably either be posted ASAP, or delayed a bit further depending on how I am. I'm working on the following two chapters now, so they should be out sometime soon. I'm estimating around 18-21 chapters total, so only a few left depending on how the story goes! I've got a few ideas for the next story, so stay tuned for that! I hope it can be to this caliber. :)

As for now, I've got more personal matters to attend to, so my publishing timeframe will be wonky. I apologize for any typos or delays in the next few chapters, just bear with me. :)
Even with triple checking and double editing, I still miss a few!

Stay awesome y'all!
—SuperHedgies