Chapter 3 (Rewrite)

Creeping along the hallway, the blonde quickly made her way across the eighth floor and to Carlys door. However, before she entered, she turned on her heel. She could make up with Freddie if she only had the confidence to admit she was wrong for once. But she let her pride get the best of her. So, she turned and knocked on Carlys apartment door.

Spencer answered with a smile. "Oh, Sam! I'm so relieved you're okay. Carly told me what happened."

Sam frowned. "Uh, and who told her?"

"Freddie."

"Ah," Sam hummed, nodding her head.

There was a long pause.

"Look, I kinda need a place to stay for a few nights. I, uh, my mother ran away to Mexico."

"We leave tomorrow but you're welcome to stay the night," Spencer told her, opening the door wider and stepping out the way for her to enter. He called Carly downstairs. She squealed and hugged Sam, telling her how glad she was that she was okay. "I'll leave you two alone."

The two spent the night laughing and smiling and eating like they hadnt in years, but the two avoided the elephant in the room. Carly was going away in the morning, then they weren't sure when they'd see each other again. Once Spencer had moved to Malibu, that was where Carly would be staying during vacations, and their friendship would also be long distance. Sam was awake still when Carly was snoring beside her, and despite it being past midnight, she carefully climbed off the bed and headed downstairs.

The apartment was practically empty. There were no fun sculptures, no gummy bears, and barely any furniture. Sam barely recognised the space she once called home. She wondered if Freddie was awake; she wanted to see him. To check he was okay. She was worried about him.

She left the apartment, silent on her feet, and she managed to pick the lock to Freddies apartment with one of her hairpins. He was awake in the other room but didnt hear the noise; he was playing games on his phone, struggling to sleep. He used to love when hed sneak Sam through the window some nights and theyd talk till the early hours, or hed leave for the fire escape where theyd watch the sunset.

She raised her fist to knock on his closed door before she heard the faint noise of a ringtone inside. Freddies voice could be heard; she leaned against the door to hear the phone conversation better.

"Hello? Is that Freddie Benson?" the guy on the other end of the phone asked him.

"Yes?" He asked with a slight tremble in his voice.

"This is Seattle Medical Center..."

"Has something happened?"

"Your mother has just been checked into our emergency room. You are listed as her emergency contact.

"Oh my god, is she alright?"

"No, uh, she left for a break. A-And the car collided with hers. She was picked up by an ambulance half an hour ago."

He already jumped up from his bed, the mattress springs creaking, his voice broken. "I'll be on my way immediately."

"It's best you don't for now. Tests are being done at the moment, and she's hopefully going into surgery later. I'll make sure to keep you updated, I promise."

"Thank you," he said softly.

"I'll be in touch." The line went dead.

Sam took a deep breath. She could hear the majority of the conversation, but she couldn't bear to keep the wooden door in the way between them. So, she knocked, and soon, the door opened by a few centimeters. Freddie didn't ask how she got in, as she walked in and sat down beside him awkwardly. He di3dnt want to know; he just needed someone there with him.

"I'm sorry," Sam whispered.

Freddie shook his head. "Can you stay with me?"

"Of course."

Seeing Freddie like this...well, it hurt.

She wanted to keep her distance – but really, she just wanted him. She looked around, spotting the heart shaped locket on his dresser, and then she moved closer. The fact he had kept the necklace showed that it meant something to him. That she meant something to him. The room was still silent, as the two didn't know what to say to each other. She held her hand out for him to take, and he did, allowing their intertwined hands to rest on the bed between them.

They felt the exact same way they had experienced when they'd first broken up a year ago. She had remembered breaking up in the elevator and laying in her bed later that night, crying. She felt awful. Again. And this time, it was her fault. She had overreacted entirely. The first time, they admitted they loved each other, but knew they'd still see each other everyday – but this time, they would be apart and have to say goodnight, maybe for good. However, at least she had got used to her life without him.

The feeling slowly grew stronger, as she looked down, her head bowed. Then she felt enveloped by a strong cinnamon scent, and she felt arms wrapping around her, causing her to tense at first. She soon relaxed in his arms, and they moved back onto the pillows. As much as Sam wanted to ask what was wrong and what was happening with his mother, she didn't want to end up with a puddle of tears on the lovely, clean bedding.

Then, before she knew it, she closed her eyes and fell asleep in his arms, and he fell asleep too. And right then, as they slept in each others arms, everything was okay. Everything was safe. They were happy, peaceful. Everything was solved.