3. Alexander

When Melissa was brought to Mercy a month ago, having suffered a hemorrhage, I was shocked and beside myself. Soon after, she had slipped into a coma. Her beautiful oval face was pale, so were her full red lips. Luckily, we were able to save her, barely.

How had David let this happen!?

Melissa was my first love. We had met in kindergarten and hit it off right away. The fact that our parents were friends only helped us get closer to each other. She was the one constant in my ever-changing life.

After my parents' demise in a plane crash, Melissa's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Moore, took me in without a second thought. I was twelve at the time.

Sands of time passed us by more quickly than I would have liked. I don't remember the exact moment that I had fallen in love with her. The only thing I was sure of was that I had never felt for anyone like I did for Melissa. In my eyes, she was perfect. And I thought that we would end up together, eventually. In my defense, Melissa did not seem interested in dating, which further boosted my confidence.

Little did I know that my overconfidence would lead to my downfall.

A year into medical school, the unthinkable happened. Mr. and Mrs. Moore passed away in a freak accident, and a few days after that, David appeared.

Since the first time I saw him, I disliked him. There was just something about him that rubbed me the wrong way. He was kind, understanding, and gentle. However, when he thought that no one was watching, he had let his mask of perfection slip.

I still remember how one evening, he had leered at Susan, one of our mutual friends, when we had met up for lunch during our break.

By the time I had gotten a whiff of David's intention, it was already too late. I was too late. Melissa had already fallen head over heels for David. And in a blink of an eye, I had lost the girl who meant everything to me.

I accepted it. I had to; I had no choice. I needed Melissa in my life. She was my family. But now, I was no more her's. She was not mine either. There was no us anymore. She was David's, and for a while, they seemed happy.

Though distraught, I wished for her happiness. If anyone deserved happiness, it was Mel. An year later, Sandy and Sid were born, and my family grew.

I loved them like my own. After all, the beautiful bundles of joy were a part of Mel.

David was surprisingly missing at the time of their birth.

"Why should I worry when you are there with her, Reed? I trust you with her." He had said when I had confronted him two days later. He had shown up drunk with a woman's perfume clinging to his skin, to see his children and a still weak, hospitalized wife for the first time since the little wonders had arrived in this world.

When I had questioned him, he had woven a tale of how he must have- in his excitement to see his children- worn Melissa's perfume after working on a high-profile project for two days straight.

Lies. I knew that Melissa used nothing but Elizabeth Arden, and the scent that clung to him was anything but that.

Working two days straight!? What did he take me for, the jerk!? He looked like a man returning from a relaxing trip to the Bahamas!

I had promptly asked him to shower and handed him my spare set of clothes before letting him meet Melissa and the kids. I shouldn't have.

There is a sharp knock on the door, and I rush to open it. There, dressed in a body-hugging long-sleeved, peach shirt and white straight-cut pants, stood a woman with blue eyes and wavy blond hair.