•chapter two•

The trio got out of the car, Erin heading straight towards Voight, while Jay hung back to speak to Madeline

"Hey, you were quiet on the way back, everything okay?"

Madeline shut the car door and looked at her partner, who couldn't help but furrow his eyebrows in concern. The Johnson girl walked over to him and placed a hand on his upper arm, giving it a squeeze, and began walking towards Hank who was talking to Erin.

"Yeah I'm fine. Need to take an hour for a personal though. Should be back by lunch."

"Want me to come with you?"

The female detective sent the man a smile and shook her head, not wanting Jay to worry, but also needing to do this alone. If her prediction was right, she would need the time to clear her head, to come up with some type of plan.

"Hank, I need to take an hour. I'll be back by lunch, Scouts honour."

"You were never in the Scouts Johnny."

Hank sent a concerned look towards Madeline, and noticed the slight worry that was on her face. He sent a small smile, one so small that only the female detective noticed, and nodded, before walking away to where patrol had taken the kid they had arrested. The pair followed him, needing to put their vests away, before getting stopped by Jin who spoke to Jay.

"Hey, is your transmitter okay? It cut out."

"Oh yeah, banged up against the wall. I'm sorry Jin."

Madeline rolled her eyes at the man in front of her, he was always breaking things like that, and never meant to apologies he sent Jin. Jay noticed the eye roll and sent a smug smile her way, which just caused the girl to roll her eyes again which caused his grin to get bigger.

"Alvin, I'm gonna need a fresh face in case we have someone pose as a buyer again."

"I'll pull someone from the academy."

As Madeline began to make her way in the direction of the break room to grab her things so she could head out, she was stopped by Jay, who had lightly grabbed her hand, making her turn around to look at him.

"I owe you one."

The smaller brunette shook her head and smiled at him. She was always going to have his back, he never had to owe her one for trying to help him.

"That's why you have back up. But if you really want to make up for it, I expect a mocha and a cheese string on my desk for when I get back."

🚔                                                             🚔